Mesh slicing at runtime

Hi everyone,

Here’s an example for using LibLoad and Blender to slice meshes in realtime in the BGE.

It’s not a perfect implementation, and serves as a P.O.C for now.

Blend File slice.zip (782 KB)

Nicely done, opens up possibilities for Voroni stuff and procedural textures(?) , though I don’t think that it’s possible to automate the process of opening a blender instance and running the host connection script, especially in the standalone player.

Amazing work…

This could open up HUGE CRAZY AMAZING AWESOMENESS!

Texture paint in game!

Create new normal maps?

:smiley:

also, can you generate a armature, and mesh, and apply and load one?

so pic a point and place a rope?

6dof chains?

“Add the rope” rather then cut the rope!

(click block clock roof) push block off edge, cut rope while swinging!

So custom/procedural map creation could now be multi-threaded as in instead of me messing around with vertex array manipulation during run time I could let 1 or 3 blender instances generate maps?

How would I create a bare-bone blender for this?

Not that i plan being commercial, how would using this affect selling your games?

Sorry for asking too many question, my head is just blown away :).

the generator / host has to GPL, because it IS blender, however the game should be just like a standalone licence?

This is now supported when launching the game from Blender. To allow this to work with the standalone player requires use of the Blender as bpy module. This would actually make things a bit faster as you could probably avoid using a network library altogether.

Where did you get the idea for this?Did you study other game engines?

It depends what you mean by “this”. The idea of using Blender was simply that all the functionality you need to import meshes into the BGE existed, and Blender can export meshes. You just need to introduce a common interface.

Concerning bpy as a module, that’s something I’ve tended to suggest over using the Blender runtime. My example should in theory work on most platforms, but that I cannot guarantee, and it assumes you’re running the game from Blender.

The bpy module feature already exists, it just requires you to compile Blender. The benefit is that you could use it inside the game engine, and whilst you’d still need to libload in meshes and use intermediate files, it would be faster to work with.

So custom/procedural map creation could now be multi-threaded as in instead of me messing around with vertex array manipulation during run time I could let 1 or 3 blender instances generate maps?

How would I create a bare-bone blender for this?

Not that i plan being commercial, how would using this affect selling your games?

Sorry for asking too many question, my head is just blown away :).

Rather than being concerned with threading, it could be more easily offloaded to an instance of Blender, which can itself be manipulated with relative speed, and then loaded back into the main scene. Whether you choose to use the Blender bpy module build and risk blocking the engine loop with a slow mesh operation, or remain with a network interface, remains to be seen.

YESHHHHHH! Imagine what could be achieved with this in the distant future? If blender could edit mesh/texture/armature inside the game engine DURING the game, it might even render other game engines pale in comparison lol

yeeah, they talk about unifying the engine…and blender…

who would have thought It could go the other way…

A game engine that gave you all the tools of 3d modeling…

that is a 3d modeling program with a game engine…

nice work goose, :smiley:

can you check this in 2.75 ? it does not seem to be working

Updated for 2.74

Thanks goose.

Being able to slice off a corner of a cube would make it better.This would be great with physics.Like for instance the pieces falling off on the ground.