ALL Z with cycles layers

I was trying to follow some of the tutorials from The Wow Factor by Andrew Price.
I got stuck in the one with bloom.
The problem is that it refers to layers in blender internal, while I want to reproduce the effect with cycles.
I’ve created a simple scene with a subdivided cube and a image plane: i’ve removed a few faces in the cube to show the image plane that works as an emission and I want to get 2 render:
1-The cube without the imageplane showing, just with the alpha portion of it (black square in the attachment): i achived it with setting no camera in the plane.
2-just the portion of the imageplane showing, surrounded by alpha: this is where i got stuck. What I got was or all the plane showing the full image i don’t need or nothing at all. I just want the black portion showing the image and all the rest as alpha.

I’ve seen that in the wow factor it refers to all-z , but in cycles it does not exist. Any suggestion?

Dear defmaka

I have exacly the same Problem :confused:
Did u found a solution?

1. You mix material you want to be visible (Emission or whatever) with Transparent shader using B/W image as a mask feeding it into Mix node’s Fac input.

All Z masks layers you render by all active layers that you don’t render.
In Cycles you don’t have this option, but you have “Mask Layers”. Use those. Select which layers should mask your render.
I’m talking about settings of Render Layers.