Possible to use Audacity while in Blender?

I am wondering if there is a way to operate functionality of Audacity while in Blender. This would make screencast recordings with audio possible, even if only to be composited in the VSE afterward.

BTW, Blender got me to buy a new computer. Not even lack of support for XP made me do that. The last time software got me to upgrade a computer was Doom 3 in 2004. My thanks to all the giants whose shoulders I now stand upon for taking the time and effort to make this software available.

Get yourself Open Broadcaster https://obsproject.com/

thanks for the suggestion. There are plenty of options for screen recording, I realize, but as this computer is intended for minimal installations with a focus on making Blender as self-contained as possible for production, a connection within Blender to the workings of Audacity would be awesome. That’s all I’m saying.

I don’t think you need any link.

Just hit record in Audacity and switch to Blender for the screen recording…

Then you can combine the audio and video later in the VSE.

I was wondering how long it would be until someone chimed in and stated the obvious. I don’t want the obvious, I am thinking about a bridge between the two that sets both to recording at precisely the same moment in time.

Both Blender and Audacity supports JACK, maybe that’s something you could look into?

it’s really not much work at all to sync a single track of audio and video. But you could probably do it with python somehow. My guess is spending the time to do that will be more work than syncing the video to audio for your next 100 videos, but whatever.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Other Software”

I started tinkering with Blender in November 2013. I now use Blender everyday at work and at home. At work, I primarily use the VSE. 100 videos come and go pretty fast. Anything that turns 2 clicks into 1 is a time saver. Just imagine pressing RECORD for a screencast and also getting the audio recording at the same time, and when you press STOP, the image sequence and audio track get loaded into the VSE… ahh, to dream…

It’s a bit of a kludge, but you could script an operator using the Blender Python API that starts a screencast within Blender and also launches Audacity as an external process. Assuming Audacity has a command-line flag that allows it to start recording immediately upon launch, you should be good to go.

Alternatively, you could just use an external program for screen recording video and audio at the same time (Camtasia, FFMPEG, etc.)

Lots of interesting ideas, thanks for the input. I am not a coder capable of putting this together, nor am I interested using external programs for recordings. This home computer is hobby time and, as mentioned, was purchased just to play around with Blender (and GIMP and MakeHuman and Reaper and Audacity), so I was just thinking out loud of a feature that would be handy, but certainly not necessary. I made a bunch of tutorials in 2004 for Doom 3 that were downloaded tens of thousands of times, including by id Software for in-house training, were used to train in schools, and were archived to YouTube years later http://www.youtube.com/trepaning so I am familiar with using other programs for video capture and how to edit them after, including syncing audio and video in a variety of ways. That said and out of the way, I’d be more willing to make tutorials if there were less steps involved in assembling them afterward, and I just think it’d be cool to have it ALL in Blender.