Cycles and vram limits

I have a gtx580 with 3gb ram.
I must render a scene with 5.762.575 polygons, but cycles going out of ram…
What is the polygons limits I must stay in for rendering in cycles?

What is the polygons limits I must stay in for rendering in cycles?
Can you not easily answer your own question.
Delete some faces, does it render ?
If not, delete some faces, does it render ?
If not, delete some faces, does it render ?
etc etc
Then you can tell us what your limit is to help anyone else who may have a similar question

Note it’s not just pure number of faces, the gpu needs to hold data on lighting, materials, textures, hair data etc etc

You are right Richard, but is not so simple. I hiding some objects (the scene is composed by 40 objects), then preview start working correctly, after this I unhide the objects previous hidden, and preview update without issue (so with the some ammount of objects/polygons I ran problems). Also, blender don’t said me the amount of polygons I have on the scene if I simply hide the objects, but only if I delete it.
Another point: the preview had problem, but not the final rendering, the final rendering render even more polygons. I can only guess due Tiles, not used in preview.

Might have to use a render farm

The issue is not a very simple one. When rendering on GPU, the GPU memory has to hold the textures, the geometry, the output buffer and also some code. Because of that, you can’t base your calculations only on the number of polygons, because all these factors take up memory.
There is a long answer here, which olesk wrote after discussing the matter with Brecht.