8 weeks since last Irie Shinsuke Blender Build

…for Linux … anyone have any idea what’s up? :eek::eek::eek: Used to be a new build out every week or so at least. My last build I got via PPA is dated 12 June, 2014 (Hash 169c95b). Anyone have any idea or who else might be currently building Blender for ppa (Launchpad)? :confused:

I’d suggest running unpacked in /home/user/Blender Blender from builder.blender.org/download . I’m on Mint and so far had not run into any technical issues.

Thanks for that, Eppo… I’m on 64-bit Mint as well, great OS! At least I can have a look at the latest-greatest in Blender this way.

I do miss the PPA thing, though… how good was that! So, no news about Irie Shinsuke, then?

While i’ve never used ppa for Blender i have heard about Irie Shinsuke’s blender’s one. Have no clue what could have happened. Hope he’s ok and things will return as they were.

Mint, yeah, have my beloved Desktop intact, nvidia drivers update fine. Nice distro. Need to move to the fresh version though… i’m quite a bit lagging behind.

If and when you do go with Qiana (LTS), be sure to “Do Something Else” during install if you have other partitions on the drive you wish to preserve. I always did this in the past, but I didn’t this time, and the install over-wrote the whole drive. Fortunately there was a way to recover the lost partitions (forget the name of the CLI tool I used, but it’s awesome!) and so I was able to do a full recovery of the files I’d put on the data partition.

Lol, i usually scrap for a new HD… I could partition primary right now - it’s only about 1/2 TB used but i had bad experiences in earlier times - HDs did not like that and there were bad blocks forming on the borders. Might have been some coincidence, still, i try to not anymore and had no issues since.
Another bonus is while old HD is used as a data storage or archive OS is still on it - plug and play, so that if you had some exotic compiled which wont work on a new OS for some reason there’s still a way to use it.
Thanks for heads up anyways! Recovery is a science on it’s own…

9 weeks have gone by since Shinsuke last committed, so I’ve decided to go ahead and have another go at building-my-own from git sources. I basically followed instructions (the easy route) here:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Building_Blender/Linux/Ubuntu/CMake

which doesn’t appear to be in any sort of logical sequence, since after you’ve done this:

sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install git build-essential

… you sort-of have to jump ahead to the Get The Source section and do this first:

mkdir ~/blender-git
cd ~/blender-git
git clone http://git.blender.org/blender.git
cd blender
git submodule update --init --recursive
git submodule foreach git checkout master
git submodule foreach git pull --rebase origin master

… before you can do this:

cd ~/blender-git
./blender/build_files/build_environment/install_deps.sh

Oh well, it does say:

Then, get the sources and run install_deps.sh as explained below.

So, I THINK I did it correctly. However, no joy: I got this error at the end of the script:

Building OpenShadingLanguage-1.5.0Ensuring /opt/lib exists and is writable by us
Cloning into '/home/robyn/src/blender-deps/OpenShadingLanguage-1.5.0'...
remote: Counting objects: 13469, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (3391/3391), done.
remote: Total 13469 (delta 9696), reused 13469 (delta 9696)
Receiving objects: 100% (13469/13469), 134.45 MiB | 702.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (9696/9696), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
From https://github.com/mont29/OpenShadingLanguage
 * branch            master     -> FETCH_HEAD
Already up-to-date.
Note: checking out '85179714e1bc69cd25ecb6bb711c1a156685d395'.

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:

git checkout -b new_branch_name

HEAD is now at 8517971... CMake linux fix: Revert part of 17ce27739b252bc21fe5583010c489b82db5f0a5...
HEAD is now at 8517971 CMake linux fix: Revert part of 17ce27739b252bc21fe5583010c489b82db5f0a5...
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 4.8.2
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.8.2
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Project source dir = /home/robyn/src/blender-deps/OpenShadingLanguage-1.5.0
-- Project build dir = /home/robyn/src/blender-deps/OpenShadingLanguage-1.5.0/build
-- Using gcc 4.8 as the compiler
-- CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER is /usr/bin/c++
-- CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ID is GNU
-- platform = linux64
-- OPENIMAGEIOHOME = /opt/lib/oiio
-- Looking for include file pthread.h
-- Looking for include file pthread.h - found
-- Looking for pthread_create
-- Looking for pthread_create - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread - found
-- Found Threads: TRUE  
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108 (message):
  Could NOT find IlmBase (missing: ILMBASE_IEX-2_1_LIBRARIES
  ILMBASE_IMATH-2_1_LIBRARIES ILMBASE_ILMTHREAD-2_1_LIBRARIES)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:315 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  src/cmake/modules/FindIlmBase.cmake:214 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
  src/cmake/externalpackages.cmake:37 (find_package)
  CMakeLists.txt:197 (include)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/robyn/src/blender-deps/OpenShadingLanguage-1.5.0/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/robyn/src/blender-deps/OpenShadingLanguage-1.5.0/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
ERROR! OpenShadingLanguage-1.5.0 failed to compile, exiting

:eek:
So, that’s a bit of a showstopper, I guess.:confused:

Oh, and Synaptic is saying I do have ILMBase installed:
libilmbase6, libilmbase11 and libilmbase-dev

in like /usr/share/lintian/overrides, for example.

Well, I thought I’d try to build this anyway, as I don’t use OSL at this point, so I did:

cd blender-git/blender
make

and off it went, starting to “make” this thing. Got all the way to the end successfully with the happy message:

blender installed, run from: /home/robyn/blender-git/build_linux/bin/blender

How about that! (hash 88ee650, build dated 2014-08-16) … and it runs.

:cool: Congrats!
As i said (did i? another conversation likely…) - it’s more about dependencies get done…
ccmake (- note double c) allows to set bunch of parameters in advanced mode - try to figure from Synaptic where is your dev part of IlmBase and set the path there.

Thanks, eppo. :slight_smile:

I vaguely remember using cmake-gui some time ago when I was doing my own compiles - it was a lot more complicated then, it seems - and thank you for reminding me. I suppose i should just get used to the ccmake (non-gui) approach, it’s quicker in the long run, even if there’s no prompting like what you get with a gui. :o
Cools stuff in this new version - or perhaps I hadn’t noticed it before - like when I do a [CTRL][E] and just click or hit [ENTER] my last selection gets executed, as opposed to the mouse cursor immediately being the deciding component of what gets selected to be executed, although it does, eventually. Very handy! I was doing a lot of Edge-Slides to trim down redundant geometry and I found I was working a lot quicker! :smiley:

Apparently it has been revived. See:

https://launchpad.net/~thomas-schiex/+archive/ubuntu/blender

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:thomas-schiex/blender
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install blender

should do the trick (at least for 2.73rc1)

Ran into some issues.

I followed the code above (added the ppa - had to change ‘trusty’ to ‘utopic’) and when I ran the last one (to install blender), I got:

sudo apt-get install blenderReading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  blender
Suggested packages:
  nvidia-cuda-toolkit
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 10 not to upgrade.

So I removed Blender via the uninstall, then ran:

sudo apt-get install blender

again. Seems I’ve opened a can of worms, however:

The following packages have unmet dependencies: blender : Depends: libavcodec56 (>= 6:11~beta1) but it is not installable or
                    libavcodec-extra-56 (>= 6:11) but it is not installable
           Depends: libavdevice55 (>= 6:11~beta1) but it is not installable
           Depends: libavformat56 (>= 6:11~beta1) but it is not installable
           Depends: libavutil54 (>= 6:11~beta1) but it is not installable
           Depends: libgomp1 (>= 4.9) but 4.8.2-19ubuntu1 is to be installed
           Depends: libopenimageio1.4 but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libopenjpeg5 (>= 1.3+dfsg) but it is not installable
           Depends: libopenshadinglanguage1.5 but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libpython3.4 (>= 3.4.2~rc1) but 3.4.0-2ubuntu1 is to be installed
           Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.9) but 4.8.2-19ubuntu1 is to be installed
           Depends: libswscale3 (>= 6:11~beta1) but it is not installable

Any idea where to go from here?

“libstdc++6 (>= 4.9) but 4.8.2-19ubuntu1 is to be installed”

• looks like this wont be easy to resolve. I’d call it quits there and remove ppa from sources.
    I’ve broken OS trying to solve python3 dependencies; C++ is upon which system is built.

Edit: Mint 17 is based on Ubuntu 14.04; ppa likely is based on Ubuntu 14.10 and GCC 4.9

Yes, I see your point, Eppo. I might go back to doing my own builds - hopefully I haven’t stuffed all that up too. Let you know how I go.

Yep, tons of issues, now. Looks like I have to do my git folder and everything else from scratch and annoy the heck out of some of the build-gurus on here.
Oh well. T’was great while it lasted.

Okay, an update to all this. It was suggested that my “git collection” was probably a bit past its “use-by” date, so I deleted the whole thing and started over. And everything compiles just fine… got the latest 2.73 build - generated just now. So, it’s all good. Guess it’s a good idea to purge one’s git folder and start fresh.

“a bit past its “use-by” date” - lol.
Fresh=good. Almost always. :eyebrowlift: