How to adjust min max values of a custom property

Hi;

I’m trying to create a custom property through code, but just can’t get to how to adjust the min and max values. The documentation is so vague :frowning: Here’s my code:

bpy.types.Object.foo = bpy.props.FloatProperty()
ob.foo = 0

It’s in fact very simple :

bpy.types.Object.foo = bpy.props.FloatProperty(min=0.1, max=10.0)

A tip I often use : in the text editor, look at the python templates, there are a lot of codes you can use in order to understand things like this. Or in the python console, you can type a method or constructor (like bpy.props.FloatProperty) and use completion (ctrl+space) to display a small doc which list the arguments of the method and what they mean. Quite useful.

Thanx Kevar, I really appreciate it… And thanx for the tip as well, well noted :slight_smile:

Cheers;

AJ

There’s also soft_min and soft_max, which will be respected for mouse input. min and max are considered on text input.

Hello,

I just wonder if it’s possible to change a parameter value of a property (more specifically the soft_min and soft_max values) after the property have been created?
I’ve tried to do this:

bpy.types.Scene.SliderWireThickness = bpy.props.FloatProperty(name='Wire Thickness',                                                                                                            subtype='FACTOR',
                                                                                                 precision=3,
                                                                                                 soft_min=0.001,
                                                                                                 soft_max=5,
                                                                                                update=update_wire_thickness)

bpy.types.Scene.SliderWireThickness[1]['soft_min'] = 1.0
bpy.types.Scene.SliderWireThickness[1]['soft_max'] = 2.0

But I’m not sure what it changes, because when it draws the slider in the UI it’s still soft_min=0.001 and soft_max=5. If you can’t change these values I could go with having 3 different sliders to cover up for the 3 different presets I want.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

You can’t adjust them after creation. It is on my wish list and have mentioned to devs…
Using set/get or update methods you can control the values but it doesn’t give the same nice feedback.

Hmm, how do you do it with set/get or update? I have tried to do it with update, when I select one item from a drop-down list the Slider is supposed to get updated but it doesn’t. I might be misunderstanding you.

Thank you anyways! :yes:

here’s how to do it in blender 3.1

lod_prop = "LOD"
        control_object[lod_prop] = 1
        id_props = control_object.id_properties_ui(lod_prop)
        id_props.update(min=0,
                        max=2,
                        )
        control_object.property_overridable_library_set('["LOD"]', True)
1 Like

What I did was to register / unregister the property on the TYPE (curves, in my case). Then, on any new curve I added to the scene, the property was already attached. I could easily access it in my panel UI like any blender property.

def register():

bpy.types.Curve.my_property = bpy.props.IntProperty(
        name = "My Property",
        default = 12,
        min = 2,
        max = 128
    )

def unregister():

bpy.types.Curve.my_property

Then, in the “draw” function of my panel code

def draw(self, context):

col = layout.column()
        if context.object is not None:
            col.prop(context.object.data, 'my_property')

This gave me the slider with the min and max enforced. However, the propeerty didn’t appear in the “custom properties” section of the object panel until I actually changed the property with the slider (some kind of refresh problem).

for area in bpy.context.screen.areas:
    if area.type == 'PROPERTIES':
        area.tag_redraw()
1 Like