Mossy rock

It’s a part of a bit larger project. But, as a still, it’s pretty finished. It has been in WIP section for a while. Hope you’ll like it, guys.

4K render link

Done entirely in Blender, rendered in cycles, GPU in 15 minutes.

'lil update

1 Like

Still a little grainy from cycles, and maybe the rock looks a little metallic. Or is just shiny from being wet?

On second thought, I’d say this is pretty much indistinguishable from reality. The moss is just, well, awesome!

@see360 Thanx for a comment. You do have a point here. Rock’s front surface do looks a bit metallic, wet rock surface in some conditions can be confused with metall. Still, maybe it could use some darkening.

As for grain, i always liked grainy pictures more than “clean” ones. Just a personal opinion, which by the way really helps me with my rendertimes :slight_smile:

I don’t understand why everybody have such allergic to “grainy” render. if you look at the photographs You would see that almost every picture have some grain. And isn’t it a point of making a photorealistic visualisations? to achieve realistic view? “perfection in imperfections” this is thing which make this render awsome.
It’s my opinion and 5 stars from me. I don’t have a patience and skills yet to make such awesome nature renders.

Regards, paulina.

very nice! All this done in 15 mins?! And was the moss made with hair particles?

All this done in 15 mins?! And was the moss made with hair particles?

I think he was referring to rendertime.

@justinodunn Rock has 3 hair particles systems, and 2 particles instancer systems. All along with separate texture maps for color, density and length. Had quite a time painting and repainting them.

I know some people like clean images, but some also like grainy ones. it’s just a matter of opinion. I have worked with both kinds of people, and some times i tend to like more doing “clean” images, coz’ i had more spare time while rendering was going :slight_smile:

Pretty realistic

Nice work. The place actually “feels” cold and wet.

Foot, obviously is not CG, it’s a still from a shot (same shot background is from) projected to a simple geo for proper reflections and shadows.

N.

damn fine work.

just a little closeup (best viewed in fullres)

Very good work on these images ! I also like the grain. Very realistic.

another closeup

The close up shots and the one with the foot are really good. Really well done. I love the lighting and the mood. Makes me want to go hiking the Pacific North West.

@jar862. Thanks. i can see your point, especially from composition perspective. The one with the foot really do seems to me more complete. By the way, main idea came to me while i was at week long mountain hiking tour (which was one of my best experiences).

Just lowered the light a bit at facing angles and slightly moved camera

Very realistic! Great job!:yes:

awesome job!

Dewdrops make the picture. Careful climbing around on there, gravity might be enabled.