Quantum GPU

Hello everybody :slight_smile:

As a modeling exercise, I decided to make a GPU in 3D. It was inspired by my GPU and references found on Internet.

A closeup of the fan connector

A view without the cover and supports

How can I improve my picture ?
Any suggestions are welcome :slight_smile:

sam

Too perfect in many surfaces, need more bump maps maybe.
Copper/gold connector need good HDRI environment to shine.

Agree with storm
also, a lot of edges are super sharp. Real objects have a bit of a bevel no matter how sharp it seems. The bevel modifier can be a quick fix for this or for more control, bevel them manually so you can assign different bevel values for each edge. beware though, your mesh can easily get messy if you bevel randomly :slight_smile:

on the aesthetics side, nice reference cooler design and nice heatsink :smiley:

I like the way you’ve incorporation the purple color scheme into the PCB and Fan. Right now I feel like this is a stabilized render of the GPU. If your looking for a more realistic feel then I think you need to shrink the 16X PCI interface pins so they you can’t really tell where one pin ends and the other begins. Also more samples and a larger light sorce would help reduce the grain on the render. I think Andrew Price(The blender guru) has a tutorial on his website about reducing Cycles grain without needing to add more samples.

Hello

Thanks for your advices :slight_smile:

Too perfect in many surfaces, need more bump maps maybe.

I used many references, like this one http://wallpoper.com/images/00/34/75/07/nvidia-gtx_00347507.jpg and they seem to not have scratches and beveled edges. But maybe I’m wrong.

Copper/gold connector need good HDRI environment to shine.

I agree but I wasn’t sure what kind of HDR sky I should use for this picture. Usually it’s easy, a landscape works well. But for a picture like there is no clear environment. Maybe an HDR sky dome of a server room ?

Agree with storm
also, a lot of edges are super sharp. Real objects have a bit of a bevel no matter how sharp it seems. The bevel modifier can be a quick fix for this or for more control, bevel them manually so you can assign different bevel values for each edge. beware though, your mesh can easily get messy if you bevel randomly

I will definitely add a bevel modifier to “smooth” the edges.

I like the way you’ve incorporation the purple color scheme into the PCB and Fan. Right now I feel like this is a stabilized render of the GPU

Thank you :), but what do you mean by “stabilized render” ?

Also more samples and a larger light sorce would help reduce the grain on the render. I think Andrew Price(The blender guru) has a tutorial on his website about reducing Cycles grain without needing to add more samples.

Wow it was very useful and not only for this picture but in general for my work flow.

Sam

For this kind of render i usually use a studio render setup.

Some tips:

• Make a plane, extrude the back edge on Z axis, apply the Subdivion modifier then apply a white material with a little glossy on it. U should have something like this: http://www.thephotoargus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/tm2.jpg
  • If you want to keep your nanosuit texture from background, you can add later in photoshop or gimp.
  • Or if u decide using and HDRI environment u can use a studio HDR lightning setup: http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html
  • The render looks good, i like the purple mix but it looks too dark to me. Try to highlight some critical areas like the PCI connector, the logo (i see u already did it), the chrome material.
  • U have to make some post work in photoshop/ GIMP. This will make your render better. Use the Curve tool, exposure level, brightness/contrast, saturation, colour tones etc. Just play with them.