apparently PhotoShop can generate bumb/normal maps now

unfortunately there is no preview of generated image and ability to control parameters so it’s kinda useless, hopefully in next update
read more about new functions here:
http://goo.gl/YCWwMZ or
http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Expanded 3D printing supportCreate print-ready 3D files for a broader range of printers and service providers. Photoshop now supports the fifth generation MakerBot Replicator 3D printer and Japanese online 3D printing service DMM.com.

Support for more 3D file formatsBroaden your 3D workflow with support for new file formats, including VRML, U3D, PLY, and IGES. Photoshop includes better integration with CAD workflows, improved support for 3D scanners, and more.

Streamlined 3D paintingImprovements in Photoshop make painting your 3D models faster and easier.

Optimized 3D printing resourcesEasily layout multiple 3D objects on a single print bed to maximize the efficiency of your print run.

3D printing workflow improvementsLoad assemblies in Photoshop. Add depth and texture to surfaces more easily with normal maps and bump maps made from pictures. Get more accurate previews and higher fidelity mesh repair.

as far as I know GIMP has had this for quite a while now (the normal map generator at least) I’ve been using it a lot recently. I can’t recall exactly where I downloaded it but a quick google will probably give you like, 200 000 results lol.

it was in PS for some time already, available in material properties panel, they only added it to filters menu. I just like that each update brings new 3D features, although I have no interest in 3D printing (for now at least) I’ll be glad to see fully featured normal maps generator

Not sure why you’d use this when the (now free) tools in nDo2 are available and much more robust.

I’ve really got to get out from under my rock more often! I had no idea this could be done with PS, Gimp, or even what the heck is nDo2?!! Lol!

didn’t know about that, although it looks like only dDo is free, nDo asks for license key, still good news, thx

i’ve had an PS nVidia normal map plug in for years

yes but they stopped updating it sometime between 2008 -2010. And like you have pointed out already Nvidia tools does not work without an nvidia card. ( Plus PS CC and PS CC 2014 are different the plugin is not compatible with the new version, don’t remember the last ps version compatible with nvidia tools; probably cs5.)

I’m not a fan of adobe , last time I used its 3D tools was in “ps cs5 extended” it was very clunky and not very friendly, I should stop postpone to test it and give it a try. I always keep gimp installed for bitmap> normalmap conversion but I do miss nvidia tools a lot ( so easy when texturing in ps).

Unless you are using Linux then it’s all moot. :wink: I use GIMP’s plugin to do normal maps, works well.

Tried the 3D tools on PS CC 2014 there is some improvement on performance (not too much) . It can generate UV’s up to a 4096 x 4096 texture space. It has point-spot-direct light and IBL support.

if you use layer filters or a bitmap for bg its performance drops considerably.

The viewport navigations are made using 3 small buttons on the viewport (no default shortcut- at least I couldnt find it). The normal 2D pan-rotate system works on top of the 3d navigation which is confusing.

I would prefer Blender texture paint for low poly meshes much faster and easier to work with, since blender can’t texture paint high-poly meshes i cant compare with it but if I compare with zbrush performance wise; PS is fast as 1/3 of zbrush vertex paint.

PS 3D tools are not very easy to use, doesnt even compare to PS 2D.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but there is also Xnormal which is free. Works as a standalone or also as a filter in PS. I use it a lot.

http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

@ wolfie138

yes i too since i upgrade with the Adobe CC i really missed it :’-(

@ NinthJake

ok you’re right, quixel suite is like all big commercial packages,

with a smooth integration i do not say otherwise, i just offers free alternatives.

@ cRichard Culver

i tried it but i really find the Gui a bit disconcerting

@ JuhaW

uhe i knew this one too, discovered via G+ really cool one :slight_smile: