Blender GUI is illegible after upgrading OS

I just upgraded my Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 and reinstalled Blender. When I start Blender for the first time everything work fine, however when I start it a second time, it looks like this;

I have a Nvidia GT 620 using the 331 driver from the repository and everything else is up to date. This happens when I use the repository install of Blender as well as a standalone tar. Does anyone have any idea what is happening?

After a little debug testing, I dicovered that this happens after I use a .blend made on a different version of Blender. I have 2.69 installed via the repository and my .blends were all made using version 2.71 prior to the OS upgrade. I will try updating to 2.71 using the irie ppa and see what happens.

Hi, it is 99% a video driver problem.
Make sure you are running the Nvidia driver:

sudo lspci -vnn | grep -i VGA -A 12

shows the loaded driver/module

Try to start Blender in a terminal with ./blender --factory-startup
If it looks like at first start change 3Dview to User Preferences and test different settings in System > Window Draw Method
Set Multisample to NO and VBO to OFF

Cheers, mib

Thanks for the help, I am using the Nvidia 331 driver. When I start via the terminal everything displays properly, however if I run the same command using sudo, it has the same problem. In any case, I am not sure how but that command did something. It still looks glitchy when I start blender from the lxmenu, however running that command fixes it, at least until I open another .blend. My settings were as you suggested.

I have aso tried using the Nvidia Legacy Drivers, the version I had prior to the upgrade, as well as the latest driver version 340, all with the same results. Has anyone ever experienced this before?

I moved my graphics card to another slot on my board and it work fine now, except CUDA no longer works. I will post that question in another thread.