External Smoke Cache in 2.71

Hello everybody,

i have a Problem with the external smoke cache in Blender 2.71. I have got the cache with all my simulation data in one directory. I remember from older versions of Blender that you had to type in the filename, otherwise there would be the error “no valid data to read”. Now I have got exactly that errormessage, but the field to type in the filename is missing. Is that a bug in 2.71, or did i just do something wrong? Thanks for any help!

You have to save the BLEND file to the disk first. Then activate the External check box for the File Path field to appear.

Maybe I didn’t explain the problem well enough. I have saved the blendfile and have already baked the smoke simulation. But what I want to do now is use the external cache option to use simulationdata from a different directory. In Blender 2.69 that always worked fine, you just had to type in the directory path and the name of the simulationfiles (something like: 536D6F6B6520446F6D61696E). The Problem is, that in 2.7 and 2.71 There is nothing to write the filename in, that option is just missing!

Do you mean you can’t find where to rename the cache? All menus that look like this have been changed so there’s not a separate name field below the menu; now you just double click the name to change it.

1 Like

No. You see the field named Index Number? In 2.69 you couldnt just set the index number, but also write the name of the simulation data in it. That was necessary, so that blender could read the data. Otherwise you would have gotten the error message “couldnt find valid data to read”. Now that option is missing. (By name of the sim. data I mean the name of the files in the cache folder. They always have names like 536D6F6B6520446F6D61696E_000001_00)

The file names use the cache name, which is the line I pointed to.

After baking this cache, I have a folder full of…

1 Like

in case anyone else has similar problems. I put the 536D6F… file name thats in the blendercache folder into the cache settings name and it worked. if you don’t give it a name before you bake you get a generated one. I thought it was broke at first to.