Fog Effect

Hey guys,

I’m sure many have asked before but I’ve genuinely not been able to find any useful tutorials on how to achieve fog like this:

The author then explains below the video:

Under world ad a new texture. With Clouds and hard noise enabled. Turn on mist, an on your left turn on blend and paper. Make an empty mesh and animate it in the same direction as the camera but a little bit slower. Under world turn on object and write the name of the empty mesh You just have to play with the setting in mist and texture It depends on the size for the other object in your scene

So, I get most of it, adding new world texture, clouds, noise yes yes, but “under world, turn on object”? How do I do that? I have tried contacting him but no response.

If someone who knows more about Blender could have a quick look at the video and maybe give me pointers It’d be so much appreciated… I’ve been struggling with this for so long, and the guy who made the video made it sound like a 5 minute set up so… It might be just me.

Also, the reason I posted it in the BGE forum is because I’d like to achieve that fog effect in the game engine.

Thank you for looking and possivly, helping! :o

Kind Regards,

Pete

That is not realtime fog, it’s rendered using Blender instead of BGE. To achieve something like this you’d have to prerender and use videotexture in game engine with overlay scene, try to make something similar with a particle system or be a shader wizard.

You might be able to use nodes to get a reasonable approximation of the effect. You’d have to render out an animated texture (a set of images would probably work), and then in the material nodes map the texture to screen coordinates, and blend it in based on the distance to the camera (the further away, the more visible). Put all that in a node group and you can plug it into any material that you want to be able to disappear into the fog. (any material that doesn’t have that node group would appear “on top of” the fog, though).

It’s quite simple:

1. Create sprites with alpha channels
  2. Apply sprites to planes
  3. Make the planes halos (always facing the camera)
  4. Place them where you feel necessary.

Ideally it should be BW image you map to alpha.

1. Apply sprites to planes
  2. Make the planes halos (always facing the camera)
  3. Place them where you feel necessary.

The effect is going to clip with scene geometry in an ugly way and also display visible borders.

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys. Let me just say, I love how quick, and how much help you can get within this community. I’m glad I joined! :slight_smile:

I will give it a bash, see if the clipping occours. Seems pretty straightforward!

On the other hand - the way the guy that made the video said he did it - is it possible to do it in Blender Render then? I pretty much did what he said, except I don’t know what “Under World, turn on object, and put the name of the empty mesh”. Was this a feature that’s not present in the latest release of Blender, or am I just really not seeing something obvious?

He says:

Under world, add a new texture. With Clouds and Hard Noise enabled. Turn on mist, an on your left turn on blend and paper. Make an empty mesh and animate it in the same direction as the camera but a little bit slower. Under world turn on object and write the name of the empty mesh You just have to play with the setting in mist and texture It depends on the size for the other object in your scene

Once again guys, thanks for your time & wisdom :slight_smile: