fokker DR.1

Hi guys I went back to my older project and I added some stuff all is wip still Im going to add ww1 bomber for backround Gotha G5

I do not know, if you are going to create a realistic animation.
If yes, then look at this film on YT:
the propeller should rotate faster, and the air flows around this airplane with higher speed (the smoke on your animaton suggests much lower speed).

thx guys both for tips ,animation is manualy with noise modifier whole rig and animation was done while back then I just added some stuff I learnt this time I tried blured image for propeller it looks better then before but I still have problem to get it right ,I like to create biplane take off but I have not found good way how to animate propeller from 0 to max spin I found 3d max tutorial there is way to stack more modifiers in animation to get that rotation . original animation

Cool thread! The modelling and compositing are excellent: I am working on making my own Fokker DR.I, actually!

Some ideas on the animations:

1. Airplanes do not bounce around quite so much.
  2. The aircraft is moving too slow.
  3. That side slip at the end is extremely over accented, something that drastic would not be done unless in a severe situation in a combat where it was necessary to get out of harms way immediately. Extremely risky maneuver.
  4. I notice the control surfaces also have a random motion added to them. While that is realistic, it is way, way, way to violent. This aircraft was one of the most responsive ones of WWI, and would be all over the sky with how it currently is.

Still, excellent work!

ONE POINT REMOVED DUE TO MISINFORMATION

This is really cool but I agree the plane jerks around a-lot. ^.^

It does on the DR1.

Steve S

During WWI nearly all radial engines were so-called rotary engines. The propeller was mounted on their crankcase, which rotated around fixed crankshaft. They were lightweight. However, when you tried to increase their power, you increased their rotating mass. At the end of WWI it was a “dead end” of engine development: to produce more power they become too heavy, and the the gyroscopic precession of the rotating propeller and engine was able to turn the airplane around during the take off. Because of this effect the airplanes that used them (Dr. I, Sopwitch Camel, Nieuport) “preferred” turning into certain direction (left or right, depending on the direction of their engine/propeller rotation). Definitely they were machines for aces: I think that the fresh pilots preferred the “workhorses” with heavy, inline engines (as Albatross or SEA5)

In all reference videos I have seen until today, except this one, that is not the case. I do know that that type of engine was used predominantly, and upon further research, I have discovered the Le Rhone rotary engine indeed operated on the dual action centrifugal principles in common use then. I apologize for my ignorance. Modern reproductions are quite often made with a different engine, I found, because of the turn preference mentioned by Witold Jaworski, which is what mislead me in the first place. Thank you for pointing that out, if I ever do an animation of an aircraft from this period it will be a good thing to know. Again, sorry for my ignorant criticism.