Messed up transform values when rotating since 2.71

I often (as in very often) rotate meshes using “r” twice, which rotates the mesh based on your current view in 3D space.
So if I’m in front view and rotate a mesh (in object or edit mode) with ‘r’ x2 it should be rotating only around the x-axis. And that’s how it worked for me - until 2.71. Now it often looks like this:

As you can see, the left on has been rotated using ‘r’ x2 with the input 90, the right one has been rotated with ‘r’ x2 and ‘manual’ mouse movement. So I guess the weird rotation only happens when I’m actually typing in a value. I guess it’s not really a massive issues, but I’m not really sure what is going on or rather wrong in this case.

rotate meshes using “r” twice, which rotates the mesh based on your current view in 3D space.
By default R would rotate around your current view. Type a number and it would rotate that amount around your current view

And “double-R” seems to trigger trackball rotation, btw…

Yes exactly, trackball rotation is what I’m talking about (didn’t quite know what it was called). What I was trying to say was that if the mesh had the rotation (0, 0, 0) and I triggered trackball rotation from the front view with a value of 90, it should be (90, 0, 0), right? Whenever I try it now it usually ends up like (90, 1.146, 0) or something though.

But why use trackball rotation in the first place? As Richard already pointed out, the default R command will do exactly what you want, if you’re in one of the default views. In front view, just hit R 90…

Trackball rotation is actually a kind of two axis rotation, while you seemingly want a one axis rotation around one of the global axes?

Aaaalright, I just figured out what’s been going wrong. I’ve been moving the mouse ever so slightly before hitting 90, just enough to change the rotation. Apparently it’s new in 2.71 because that behaviour wasn’t in 2.69 (…and yeah, I actually checked lol). Not sure if I like that change, though…

As for the reason I use trackball rotation over the standard rotation (not always, only when applicable) - because it allows me to skip one step: changing the view. Using trackball rotation rotates around the local x-axis, whereas standard rotation would rotate around the local y-axis. Thanks for all the replies, though! Help, especially ​fast help is always appreciated!

Wait:You know that you can rotate around any axis you want at any time, right?

R Y 90 = Rotate around global Y by 90 degrees
R YY 90 = Rotate around local Y by 90 degrees

Same with all other axes, of course…

Oh yes yes, of course. Like I mentioned in the OP, it isn’t a massive issue by any means. It wasn’t so much that I wasn’t able to achieve the transform but rather the fact that I wasn’t able to do it in the way I was used to do it. It really does feel like such an unnecessary change. After all, when you start to use values as input, you somewhat expect the transform to be exactly that precise - and not that the slightest move of your mouse messes everything up. Oh well…

Yeah… Maybe this is due to the “two axis” nature of the trackball rotation? The rotation is determined by the (relative) x and y coordinate of the mouse pointer - but you can only enter one value when using numerical input. So maybe Blender completes the second input with the mouse movement. Hmm. Or maybe not - that would be too strange a concept, even for Blender…:wink:

Well, that really does sound like the most sensible explanation. Though I still think blender should drop all previous mouse input when entering a value manually (well, like it did in literally every single version before). Not that there’s anything I can do against that lol - don’t think the devs are too keen to drop a ‘feature’ they’ve just implemented.