How can I get smooth camera movements when it follows a path?

Hey guys.

So I’ve been trying get the camera to start and stop smoothly when it’s following a path, but I can’t figure out how to do it.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but when one normally animates an object (say a simple cube moving across), the interpolation mode follows a bezier curve (the F-curve is smooth at the start and end of the animation). This results in the cube seemingly accelerating at the beginning, and decelerating at the end of the animation.

But when I try to enable bezier interpolation when my camera is following a path, those options are unavailable.
How do I make the camera accelerate at the beginning at decelerate at the end then?

Screenshot:

If you add a Follow Path constraint to your camera don’t use the animate path option, use offset instead. You can add keyframes there and then set your interpolation any way you want.

Heres’s a sample file: camera-path.blend (596 KB)

Ok, that got my camera working more or less the way I wanted, but I had to double the number of frames (in the path animation panel under my path settings) and then set the offset to the original value. This is because i can’t animate the offset value if its zero along the curve and my camera goes completely wacky if I don’t uncheck the the “follow” box under evaluation time setting.

Am I doing something wrong?

http://i.imgur.com/0U9GiwLl.png

Also, my F-curve is still a little steep, so I’m not getting that smooth accelarating/decelarting effect. Any ideas?