Non Square UV Layout

hi,

does anyone know if it possible to change the uv grid layout from square to e.g. 2:1?
i tried loading in an image which is 1024 x 512 but the only thing happening is that the uvs get stretched by the same dimensions.

cheers christian

1. go into the uv editor
  2. select all uvs
  3. press s-x-0.5

this will scale your uvs by 0.5

hi doublebishop,

i don’t really want to scale my uvs, i just want to have a non quare uv grid :slight_smile:

christian

There is no way. It’s square. When you use other ratios than square, then you have to scale the UV patches.

but if i scale the uvs and import the mesh into another software the uv’s are streched
so there is pretty much no way to work with a non square uv layout?
or how would you guys make this work?

Try this. Export your UV layout, open it in Photoshop/gimp/whatever then manipulate your texture to fit the UV. Once you have the image the way you want, save the image (use layers so you don’t have the uv layout on top of the image) and use that as your texture.

I wouldn’t modify the texture really. This just gives you trouble with non square texel / pixel at the mesh then.

but if i scale the uvs and import the mesh into another software the uv’s are streched

Sure they are. You use a non square texure. And adjust your UV patches to it in a square layout. So it looks stretched in the UV editor. The important bit is the mapping though. That the texture does not stretch at the mesh. And this is given by stretching the UV patches to the right size.

so there is pretty much no way to work with a non square uv layout?
or how would you guys make this work?

I have imported a obj file that was mapped with a non square texture. A simple plane. And Blender gave me the non square size in the UV Editor then. No idea though how to achieve this with staying in Blender.

When you say non square UV I think you’re slightly missing the thing about UVs that’s a little hard to grasp - UV coordinates are 0-1 on the bottom by 0-1 on the side (in the Blender way that’s 0-255 by 0-255). Maybe if you think of it as a percentage it might help? Whatever the mesh it’s mapped according to where it falls as a fraction of the distance between min and max. so if you have a huge texture the coordinates are the same as a small texture. When texture is tiled it just repeats the same coordinates.

Another way of looking at it - when you unwrap your mesh the verts are assigned UV coordinates, 0-255U, 0-255V. Every texture that you map to this mesh will use these coordinates to divide up the horizontal and vertical dimensions, no matter if the textures are the same shape or not.

If you have a new texture proportion and you don’t want to scale your UVs you MUST unwrap again. Just the way it is! Unwrapping again will assign UV coordinates anew.

Is that clear? Or maybe someone can give a more correct and understandable explanation!

one trick to get a non square map is to use alpha !

happy bl

thanks for all the replies guys!

RickyBlender, could you (or someone who knows what he means) explain this please?

If you have a new texture proportion and you don’t want to scale your UVs you MUST unwrap again. Just the way it is! Unwrapping again will assign UV coordinates anew.

if i unwrap something square and then import a non square texture the UV’s get stretched.
unwrapping again doesn’t unstretch the UV’s though or what do you mean?

i mean, all i want really is this:

Attachments

did u Ctrl-a you mesh before unwraping?
scale should be = 1
also check in UV editor that the unwrap covers you image and not smaller or larger !

show us some pics !

happy bl

When you unwrap again after loading a non square image, immediately after having pressed U -> Unwrap again (i mean before doing any other transformation/action) you must press F6 (or look in the Operator panel on the bottom of the toolshelf) and -disable- “Correct Aspect”, so you new unwrap will not be automatically stretched by the non square image.

OMG … that’s it Sanctuary :slight_smile:
many thanks for the help everyone!!