modelling a medallion, help

I want to get this printed into a real silver medallion via Shapeways.
http://i.imgur.com/qJ3c7Qh.png

I’ve never modelled anything high poly, so I’m having trouble adding 3d effect.

Okay, I know I suck at modelling, Im just doing this for a gift to my close friend, so Im okay if you guys will heavily edit the model.
I hope we can get this to look somewhat decent.

well, normally u should be able to merge the objects with the boolean modifier and after that u just join the selected objects via ctrl+j
buuut as i noticed a week ago this doesn´t always work very well if u afterwards want to sculpt “between” the borders of the joined objects…
the cleanest method seems to be to join/merge the verts in edit mode(after this step u can also sculpt without issues) -but this can take hours at a high poly mesh
but i´ll try some things with your model
here the sculpt issue :confused:

Thanks @Zimtstern.
Yeah, the boolean modifier isnt perfect.
I also think the 3d effect I’ve applied sucks. Maybe you can suggest something better looking. I want that effect like the people’s heads on coins.
The flat base version of the mesh is on the second scene layer if that will help.

i think it already looks nice :slight_smile:
for a medaillon it seems really good to me… i don´t know how to improve
but an idea: you could use a gold material for the moon and silver for the rest ? :slight_smile: (if that´s not too colorful and also possible to print^^)

but if u want to print it via shapeways you should maybe watch some tutorials (i know there are some for blender&3D-printing)

Thats a good idea with a different color for the moon and the temple.
Im think Shapeways can’t do that, but I’ll ask in their forum just in case. Do you give me permission to use your renders in their forum as an example of what I want?

I dunno man, the 3d effect on the rabbit looks bad to me for some reason. Usually its the opposite: I make something and thinks its great and others are the ones who say it sucks.

How did you merge the temple and moon meshes?
I think you understand what effect I want when merging the two: the border are should be “extruded”. A boolean operator doesn’t do that.

BTW, Ive watched tutorials on Blender-Shapeways, thanks.

yeah, ofc. you can use my renders :slight_smile:

I dunno man, the 3d effect on the rabbit looks bad to me for some reason. Usually its the opposite: I make something and thinks its great and others are the ones who say it sucks.
^^who doesn´t know this :stuck_out_tongue:

hmm so u want to have something like a weldseam ? (with a smooth look)

Edit: puuhh…i tried a lot but nothing works to join the objects… :frowning: i asked this question too 1-2 weeks ago but nobody could help me too :confused:

Well thanks for your help :slight_smile:

I hope someone else will be able to help on that.

I hope so too! :slight_smile:
good luck and pls. write me a PM if and how u solved it !