Hand painted low Poly texturing

I want to learn how to texture. I think always making cars has made me lazy in that aspect of 3D so I am starting small and simple. I love games like warcraft frozen throne and Torchlight 2 so I thought I would take a shot and doing ten or so simple hand painted diffuse only texturing projects.

My list of things that I will work on
***1. barrel [done]
2. treasure chest [done]
3. sword or weapon [done]
4. dark knight
5. a scene of some kind

Attachments

EDIT

My first project the wine barrel

a cycles render

the texture as painted in Krita

If you’re using Photoshop for texturing this is a great painting tutorial that I’ve used before. If you don’t use Photoshop some of his painting and layering techniques should carry over to other painting software.

I like it, pretty good texture work. Keep it up and hope to see the other items on the list done.

Nice work…

very nice, you shoudl also have a look at xrg’s youtube channel, he is brilliant

@Entrodo I haven’t had time to check out those videos part one and two are both over an hour long so I need to make some serious study time to view them. I use Krita to paint but I know Photoshop so I’m sure I can translate from one app to the other. Thanks for the links.

@Sovvolf Thanks.

@Nunud Thanks for the compliment.

@Craig Jones Thanks for the link. I checked out a few of your tutorials and xrg’s before but I don’t think I saw xrg’s tutorial it was mostly time lapse video last time I checked his you-tube channel.

After watching xrg’s tutorial I think I will try a Blender and Krita combination.

I’ve started on my next project on the list a treasure chest. I stupidly went for a chest that can open and close with a simple rig. This meant unwrapping the chest was a complete PITA

The model

The UV map (512 x 512)
. I think this is the first time I have learnt about mip maps and the importance of leaving about an 8-10 pixel border around your UVs. My UV unwrap sucks but it will do for painting, I need to practice unwrapping more.

I love low poly style! the barrel looks nice. I would add a shine on the rings though. Either paint it on for a hand drawn look, or actually use specularity, but paint a spec map for it.

@Scotchtapeworm the rings didn’t come out the way I wanted them to. There is no spec map for this workflow it’s all supposed to be hand painted diffuse only.

I started texturing the treasure chest, a mixture of new paint tools and Krita. I still have to work on the metal bits and the inside of the chest but here are some work in progress shots.

I am working with a 512 X 512 diffuse map

I think I am done with the treasure chest. I have redone the list of projects I am going to do removing some projects and condensing things a bit.

some renders of the treasure chest.

I started this in Blender using the new paint tools and then went to Krita and back to Blender for some touch ups. I learnt a few things about painting in Blender but I think I have to do lots of research on lighting especially when you are not working with ray tracing.

Spot lights are a pain in the arse to work with How do people get away from that spot light effect on the ground and walls so that it looks like your scene was lit by one broad light and not what I have? I used a bit of AO but my goal is to not to use that in the end.

Looks very nice. Good depth with the wood highlights.

You could add some more defined damage around the corners and sides. It usually removes the uncomfort of completely sharp edges, and its also a very common area for objects to have a more worn look. :slight_smile:

Looks great

Ah, cool to see you doing hand-painted stuff.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to do for certain; got an reference example of what you mean? I typically just paint in the shadows rather than fiddle with the renderer at all. Here is an old blend of a claypot scene I did for example. It mainly only works for non-animated things though.

@Derphouse I will keep that in mind for the next project

@spanishrose thanks

@xrg thanks for looking in. I was trying to light the scene without using ray tracing(ended up using AO) using a spot lamp with buffered shadows. But spotlights will only illuminate things in their cone of light and leave a round circular spot of light on the floor with everything else in darkness. I think I just need to find an old book on lighting to learn how to work without ray tracing. Thanks for the Blend file I will study it hard.

How about using just a hemi light? Also, you can try baking AO, and multiplying that over your texture.

I am done with my concept art for my next project, it’s an axe not a sword but whatever. Now it’s on to modeling and texturing. I am aiming to finish this one by this weekend. I also think I will 86 the animal project and blacksmith’s workshop, quality over quantity.

Love it! Should be gud in 3D :slight_smile:

Watching this thread. Nice work.

Thanks guys.

I’m finished modeling my axe so I just have to unwrap and paint.

first texturing wip of the axe