Sculpting is way too slow

I bought a new computer just for this purpose (CG) a few weeks back and it’s over $1000. I have 3.40GHz i7-4770 CPU and 16gb of RAM, but whenever I go into sculpt mode, it’s like I’m on my old Toshiba laptop that was 1.2GHz and 3 gb of RAM. What is going on? It’s so frustrating because i can barely move the mouse after putting a simple line on a 100-1000 vert mesh (without dynamic topo or multires because that’s even sower). I’m so confused and upset as to why wouldn’t it work.

Do you have other modifiers on this mesh?

none at all

Can’t help you without the .blend file.

I have near the same specs and i don’t have any problems with sculpting slowing down my PC.

It’s not blend file specific it’s sculpting no matter what. Just starting out with a simple UV Sphere without multres or topo, it does the exact same thing. With topo or multires, it’s a lot slower and usually crashes blender if not my whole computer.

I’ve had the same problem in the past but i don’t know how i fixed it.

Try setting blender to the factory default settings and see if it makes a change.What is your cpu and ram usage when you try to sculp?

It’s still the same and I reinstalled it

Try lowering your undo steps in the user prefs while you sculpt. It will help. Put 2 or something.

Still not working, I even turned on VBOs and it’s still not working. I’ve asked multiple sources and nothing is working. Blender is still slow as heck during sculpting (while everything else runs fine and like they’re supposed to) and blender is crashing so much and almost crashing my computer at times.

Maybe you’re running the 32 bit version of blender? Also check your OS specs and make sure the computer is seeing all 16 Gb of ram, just because the sticks are in there doesn’t mean they work. It’s possible you’re running 2/4 gb of ram.

Check your system monitor, is sosmthing else hogging all your memory?

Is your cpu fan working?

Try re-downloading a nightly build from graphicalinto another folder and reinstalling.

Have you emailed microsoft? (That’s a joke)

I’m running all 16GB of RAM, the fan is working, and I close all running tasks to see if that affects anything. Same stuff.

What kind of video card?

On a similar topic the first question was whether they were using 32 bit blender… though I find that improbable it is worth checking. Other than that it could be that the graphics drivers are inappropriate or that you forgot to configure it to work with your system.

I’d suggest you bring up Task Manager and check your CPU and RAM. The way your cpu responds could give you an idea of what is going on behind the screen. You could see only one core go to 100% which would mean that your program is tied to that sole core, or if everything went to 100% and stayed there it could be a problem with drivers, and if it was none of the above it would probably mean you forgot to configure Blender to work with your machine. That is all theoretical though, I’ve never seen such severe lag on a simple mesh. A single core should be more than enough to work with it… You could ask on a computer technical forum about your system, they could probably point out any hardware inconsistencies.

Drawing speed in Blender depends mainly on how well your video card & driver do OpenGL. The random crashes you encounter may also be graphics related.

So:

• OS?
  • Graphics card?
  • Driver version?

Someone else said they were having sculpting problems a thread or two away. If you are running 2.71 try sculpting in 2.70a and see if there is any difference.

I have a Nvidia GeForce graphics card does that change anything?

Nvidia makes some good cards. Nivida cards are good for using the cycles render. What model do you have and how much ram? You may need to update your video card drivers.

Are the details of your graphics card classified or something? You’ve been repeatedly asked to give us more information about your setup, yet you still remain vague.

So, what OS? What grahics card (exact model, VRAM)? What driver version?

I just updated the drivers. I have GTX 650 Ti with 1024mb of RAM.