Trigonometry

Hi I Hope you are having a good day.

We all Know the trig function of f(x) = a cos + q
So I tried to make a the subject of the formular but my formular does not provide the correct answer Here’s my failed attempt
f(x) = a cos + q
y = a cos + q
a/y= a/a cos + q
a/y= 1/cos + q
a= y/cos + q

I was hoping someone could show me what I am doing wrong and provide with the correct formular.

Thanks. Any Help and Solutions will be greatly appreciated

y = acos(x) + q
y - q = acos(x)
(y - q)/cos(x) = a
I don’t know why you want to make a the subject but … ok.
I don’t understand why you just say cos, cos of what ? Cos is a function not a number, right ?

EDIT: I don’t recognize this trigo function, could you show me the geometrical situation on which you are trying to apply trigonometry ?

@dagto
Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

I don’t understand why you just say cos, cos of what ? Cos is a function not a number, right ?

I meant to say the cosine of theta.

EDIT: I don’t recognize this trigo function, could you show me the geometrical situation on which you are trying to apply trigonometry ?

I was given a trigonometric graph and asked to determine the equation/function of the graph.
all the information was visible from looking at the graph except for the a value so I figured I would
change the subject of the formular to get the a value.

Watch your parentehses
a/y = a/(acos + q)

If you’re solving for a, then why not:
y = a cos + q
y - q = a cos
(y-q)/cos = a

I was given a trigonometric graph and asked to determine the equation/function of the graph.

If this is your aim, then a is the amplitude. Just look at the graph and see how tall the waves get (from the midpoint of the wave), and that is a

Get Triggy with it

Video uses Tan, Sin, Cos , Exp and the golden ratio and Pi :smiley:

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the Help.