Bunc's Sketchbook

Just some pics Ive done.
I made this a while ago (not in Blender) but it was handy for this first post.

Doesnt seem to have posted at much of a size though? Tried to resize it in the post but that didnt work?

Attachments

Started a blend for trying different textures techniques for natural looking textures/shapes etc.
This was a quick one using disp/subd(multi)/disp with two mat textures both proving some normal bump. Low amb occ, low env light and sun at .5.

(using a thinkpad)

Attachments

This was simply a test to try using a mask to pevent a procedurally defined volume clipping at the boundaries of the volume domain. obviously using a point cloud this can also be achieved but here I was trying to see if I could get a nice fall off without clipping using a procedural texture for the volume. Works not too bad. The procedural clouds could be better but it shows that it works.

The rock has a cool shape and texture to it. You should add a colormap, and make a scene around it.

Agh my first comment ! Your visit is much appreciated ! yes I like the shape of the rock and its texture. I was messing around using different shapes as starting points then doing small subsurface and displace tweak and repeat to finer detail and thats what I ended up with. Hopefully ive still got the file. I agree it could be made into a scene. ill need to think of something that my thinkpad will handle or maybe do it in bits and composite.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/79075 this is a pic I did using gradient texture mapping. th elandscape is from a dowloadable blend file ta accompanied the article describing teh technique. I didnt save th elink so I cant credit it properly. Anyone sees this and recognise it let me knwo as I should credit the article and the landscape. I did the textures myself based on the techniques described.

Couldnt get this to load yesterday for some reason. Hoping it loads from here.

Attachments

Still mucking about about with same texturing technique. This time I rendered the background hills, left and righht mid grounds and foreground separately ( because my laptop is cr!p) then composited them together to get a bigger landscape feel.

Change of tack this evening. I did an “impossble triangle” render yesterday and posted it in the members comp section and I decided to try to do another optical illusion one tonight.
This one was going to be a swirling spirals illusion but isnt quite right for that purpose. I render three archimedian spirals and set them to each of the primary colors. The spirals were set to a stong emmission and set within a volume to give a glowing neon effect. The render result was then composited using a small blur followed by ghosted flare. I quite like it but I think the spirals should spread to the edges. I suspect that I coudl have created a similar image much more easily and quickly using a combination of inkscape and gime though !! It was good practice though trying to get the volume effect right. ( the volume is sort of overwhelemed by the compositing effect in this version)

Attachments

The water shader is made by myself as is the swimming pool . The deckchairs are from a blendswap model which I have modified and added new materials of my own to.

Attachments

A sculpt of cliffs at the end of a grassy valley. Quickly textured and with a temporary grass standin in foreground. Next step ptobably will be to bake the landscape textures and blend and refine them.

Attachments

Ive been working on the swimming pool render I posted earlier. This has lower POV , glass created by me and generated trees. Tree texture is basic at the moment. Next steps will be to add liquid and maybe a little silly cocktail umbrella to the glass. Then something visually interesting in the right lower third to give focus. I’m thinking of a knife dripping blood. Im bad like that.

This render is too blown out but I didnt want to re-render just now as Im concentrating on something else

Attachments

Just a quick try to think about how to compose it with another element. Moved camera up and back and angled view down a little compared to previous render. Stopped this at 100 samples. The light handling at the bottom of the glass doesnt seem right. Ill need to check thickness of the glass I think and maybe transparent bounces. Knife is basic at the moment. Ill need to model some blood drops
and paint the blade.

Attachments

Some blood spatter added and knife blade textured. Turned down material brightness on the pool tile surface a little also. Still needs work on the glass and blood on the knife itself. I think I may also put a swimming pool sign on the far wall - one of those ones telling people not to dive or bomb. I need to be careful though as I dont want to make the image unduly busy.
Anyway latest render - this one about 500 samples.

Attachments

Some thoughts on the pool scene now I look at it. I think my composition still needs some work. There are two maybe three focal elements at the moment - the glass, the knife and the blood ( the last two may function as one perhaps) I feel the glass has to move back a little and that a third element may be helpful. The title Death in Paradise has been floating round my head. So im thinking something like a newspaper with that as the newspaper headline might work. Modelling and texturing a newspaper ain’t going to be easy but maybe it needs this. I also wonder if I’m giving the sky and trees too much space in the composition. Perhaps I need to just enjoy having done them and be brave and make a shift to give the foreground more space.

If anyone reads this I would welcome any thoughts people may have.

A seamless pebbledash texture I did tonight. There are still some small tiling artefacts but they are minor and the texture tiles well. just ran it through crazybump and its good! Maybe someone else can use it. Its 1k.

Latest iteration of my swimming pool scene. Whisky in the glass but Im not overjoyed about either of them yet. Blood spatter repositioned and blood texture added to knife. I think the knife blade needs a better spec map - im just using the diff map at the moment.
Only a quick render at approx 50 samples.

Attachments

Ive scaled down the size of the knife and the glass a little. I like their visual impact when bigger but they were a little out of scale perhaps with the distance to the pool. This may be more physically correct but Im not sure it has the same physical impact.
This one is rendered at 500 samples and with caustics on which makes it still very noisy. I suspect its going to be very hard to get rid of the noise with caustics on.

Attachments

I did this tonight as a break from the swimming pool.
Let there be light.

Attachments

Thought I would see if I could make a quick entirely procedural planet shader.
There are improvements I still need to make. I havent integrated the glossy right yet and the bump texture could be improved with some more mountain looking stuff.
This was a small render at 100 samples then composited with a small amount of blur to give an atmosphere glow effect.
Ill prob do more on this tomorrow.

Attachments