American Flag

Hey all :slight_smile:

In the spirit of Independence Day I made a simple US Flag. I’m still getting the hang of Blender so I thought this project would be easy enough.

I used a basic plane, put a cloth modifier on it, and set up some wind tunnels for the flowing flag effect. I used a worn American Flag photo as the diffuse texture of the flag and used some tightly woven fabric for the normal, occlusion, and specularity textures. To top it off I utilized volumetric lighting for the light rays falling onto the flag.

I hope you like it, any critiques/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Independence Day, God bless :slight_smile:

Looks great! :smiley:

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

shouldn’t the stripes be 13?

It looks very good, I like the war style look.
But yeah, the stripe count is wrong, it should have 7 red stripes and 6 white stripes. :slight_smile:

What did you use to block the light?

Thanks everyone :slight_smile: @isscpp & @downfall61 I can’t believe I missed that! Now that I look back at the texture image I used I’m realizing that I never had 13 stripes to begin with. My mistake for trusting a random picture haha - thank you for the heads up.

@D.Grissom - Hey D.Grissom. I just took a plane, subdivided it 40 or 45 times in edit mode, then selected random vertices using the C select tool. I then deleted the vertices so that the plane would have holes and stripes in it for the light to shine through.

Sweet sauce, well it looks great.

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

The scene is pretty dark overall. Have you considered maybe focusing the camera directly on the flag and having a full screen shot of it? As it is now, almost 1/2 of the scene is dead space.

So having the flag at the center of the scene with very little black space?

Could work, I’m not sure. It would be really cool as a looped animation, considering its darkness you could put it behind the lyrics of a patriotic song.

That’s a really good idea. I could let the flag wave while spinning the plane with holes in it to animate the light rays. That’s be something!