macktruck6666 - Sketchbook

Most recent work. Can find more information near end of thread.

Attachments

It’s great to see you are committed to developing your skills.

You have access to hundreds of years of codified trial and error experience at your fingertips. All the theory you could possibly learn from art/design school is accessible on the web, just waiting to be sought, read, studied, applied and evaluated.

What was your process in creating this business card - did you research what makes a good business card? Did you research what makes legible typography?

Evaluating the end result yourself, how do you think you did?

My method wasn’t very structured. I started with the leaves because I wanted to try a floral decign where sweeps and curves make a bigger picture. I didn’t get as many leaves as I wanted. I did not research what made a good business card, but I tried to incorporate ideas that I thought were important. I thought it was important to have a simple logo and colors that compliment each other. Shades of green seemed apropriate for the subject. I tried to fill the deadspace in the corners. The F was an atempt to mimic the shapes in the leaves and the lettering was a close to cursive as I could make. In retrospect I wish I spent more time finessing the letters but the method I used didn’t lend well to it beeing redone.

You can’t make a succesful business card without a logo. Everything about any business design (artwork for the public) has to parellel the logo of the business. Every piece of art produced by a business for the public eye has to center around its corporate identity.

The corporate identity uses the logo as a foundation and it branches off into facets such as color scheme, typography, fonts, repeated designs, mottos, etc. For just about any business, everything related to art revolves around corporate identity, which in turn revolves around a simple logo.

So don’t fool yourself into trying to using just a pretty picture to make an audience remember your design. Center it around a corporate identity and logo. An audience won’t remember a business card with pretty flowers on it (even if it is a florist card), but if you center every last bit of art around your corporate identity/logo, the audience is sure to remember you.

So my advice to you is (if you’re interested in business art), make up your own business. Give it a logo, motto, color scheme, and study other poeple’s work. I’ve done quite a few corporate identities myself. It is not difficult once you get going.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

I totally agree. I think in a real world setting I would make several logos and let the customer decide. I might be reading to much into things, but what is everyone’s impression of the logo. What is your first thought that enters your mind, not from a technical feeling, but what would be your impression of a company that had this logo. Answer before reading my impression.

It is quite clear what the logo imitates. It clearly reflects a flower.
Color schemes would primarily concists of shades of green and whites(i think white is considered neutral?)
Fon’ts would be more ornamental then most.
A hiring moto might be “Grow into your full potential.”

OK, I see we’re not on the same page.

Firstly, about the logo itself…

A logo is a 2d or 3d piece of art that serves as the basis for the link between a business and a consumer. Like I’ve said before, it is the foundation of the corporate identity.

Just like any other foundation, it must be incredibly strong. It must be clever, original, and easy to picture. It must also create a connection between the letters in your company’s name and the artistic side of the corporate identity. If it does not do this, everything on top of it will crumble…

Try spending more time on your logo. Firstly, allow the company name text interact with the art itself. Turn the two individual pictures into one. And by doing so, make it interesting. Turn it into a picture that will pop into your mind every time your company is mentioned. Make it memorable and unforgetable for your audience.

A simple flower frankly does not do hardly any of this. Everything built upon such a foundation will crumble.

I mean no offense - just trying to share some of the things I’ve learned through my own experiences.

Now, moving on to color scheme: excellent so far, but may I suggest adding yellow to the mix? Really, the more colors you have to work with, the easier it becomes later on. I’m currently finding that out the hard way… a DVD jacket design, menu design, and filmography design all based off of the color scheme black and orange - not fun, but do-able.

And about white, you absolutely use it in the scheme, but try to limit its usage to gradients, outlines, and stuff like that. Let green and yellow do the talking.

Good for fonts, but how are you going to deal with cases? All caps, sentence case, all lower… these little tiny details are good to plan out before you’ve even launched the logo.

OK, here comes the thing you’ve been waiting for… the worst I have to throw at you :frowning:

Motto:

Okay, that’s nice, but why should I spend my money here and not next door where everything is cheaper?

Oh, really? I will. Have a nice day.

Awwwwthassooocute :slight_smile: - but my money is better :ba:

Been there, done that.

Wait what was that weird motto?

(and the list of possible responses goes on)

The point of a motto is to prove that your company is superman. You must manipulate it to give your audience a foretaste of your service -in the most attractive way possible. Use your motto to show how much you care about customer service, why your products are superior to the ines down the street, why you are flawless, and most importantly, why your deals work out in the consumer’s favor (tacitly).

Convince your audience that they have already walked into your shop and experienced your service and been treated like theybwant to be treated.

Convince them that you are already their favorite.

Your current motto doesn’t do any of this.

Study the pros… you will never regret it.

Think of how they do all these things.

First, copy them, then move on to your own more original ideas.

As always, I hope this helps.

I think this might be a little better. It’s kinda like the android logo.

Attachments

A good start, but now start making it look like a business card. Add in a motto. Give it style and creativity. Draw one, throw it away, draw another, chuck it it, draw something else, trash it… x3.

Do that until you have proven that your company is superman.

Thanks for responding.
I’m not really sure what a style entails, but I feel like it might be some general rules that make things look similar in some way.
Here is another try. I’m not really sure if it suppose to be “is” or “are”. I am not acustomed to this style of art so I haven’t been able to crank out ideas quickly. The font is released as donationware at: http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=112&page=33

Attachments

Do you want to keep doing this thread? If not, just let me know - I’m not trying to force anyone into a boring art class lesson…

But if not, here comes my next sermon.

The new font does not compliment/help the idea that you are a flower shop. Too boxy.

Ugh, I probably shouldn’t be critiquing on such a scale on a forum, should I? Do any moderators watching have any input on this?

Sorry, but I will have to pick this up again tomorrow.

Keep on responding as long as you feel. To be honext, I should probably take some art classes when I can. Ya I was having trouble finding a good font. The fonts I found that were good had to be bought for commercial use. I’m not going to pay $18 usd or 25 euros for a font. I’ll look into some font creation software, but if thats the only glaring problem, then perhaps I’m on the right path.

The problem isn’t that your critiquing to much but that others don’t offer quality critiques enough. Posts saying “I like it”, boost my ego but doesn’t help me get better.

If it’s fonts that you’re after there are sites that have them for free… you just have to pay attention to the end user agreement (license). Try googling 1001 free fonts.

I just wanted to post something that I’m working on. It’s fan art for the Dragon inventational sc2 tournament. It lacks any promotional material and hope the broadcasters will use what I’m working on. With thousands of people watching, my art might get noticed. I’m thinking of adding flames and custom text.

Attachments

I try adding some complex background but I hindered the clarity of the text. This is the end result.

Attachments

Hey guys, just wanted your impression on th elast photo. Is that good enough to put in a portfolio?

This is my first time trying to using a combination of InkScape and BLender to make a logo and business card. I will add more detail after I get some sleep. Input is welcome.

Attachments

I thought I would take a shot at sculpting.
Currently I’m sculpting everything in Sculptris, reducing the poly count to 100k, and rendering it in Cycles.
I started this workflow before Blender got dynotopology, but my computer could never handle anything with over 200k polys very well. So I’m thinking this workflow is better considering the computer I have.

I don’t know why I like making dragons so much(maybe because it’s a subject that has no definitive look).
Here are two dragons. The first is random and the second tries to incorporate aspects of a chicken.

Attachments

Here is a game character I designed. Poly count is only 1400.
First picture is a render in BI.
Second pictures is a capture from Sculptris.

Attachments

Ah, it’s ugly, but it’s the best I can do without putting more time into it.

Attachments

Here is a little sculpting practice: