What all uses the GPU (or can) and what all uses the CPU?

Hey. I’m making a new build and am balancing my budget on how useful certain the cpu or gpu is. I know the gpu is used for cycles rendering but I know little else. What does the following use?

Fur/liquids/vertexes/soft b physics/animations in viewport. High density sculpting at a decent fps.

Thanks for your time.

Cycles for CUDA gpu and cpu rendering, Compositor has some OpenCL accelearion and the physics baking cpu

Thank you for the response. So physics is cpu only and CUDA just for rendering. That’s a shame, the last posts I read (from Feb. 2013) said that CUDA has the capability for physics but was not quite in Blender yet. Has any work been done with that since then?

What do I need for the non-rendered viewport when it comes down to large amounts of vertices/animating? When I hit ~200k verts my computer just grinds to a halt with 2-3 fps. Same with fur in the viewport. I’m not sure whether thats CPU or GPU related.

BVH building for a render, either CPU of GPU, will be done on the CPU.
The UI in Blender, including viewport rendering, can run off of a GPU but can be laggy if you only have one card.
As for features: neither SSS or cycles volumes (light and material) work on GPU yet. (I think there are others but not sure)
As Richard pointed out the Compositor mainly flows through the CPU.

Hi Jim

I may be corrected but I believe this is where having a larger VRAM on the GPU comes in handy.