Weight Paint Issue

Hi, I just signed up for BlenderArtists, and that even because I was getting incredibly frustrated by this problem I’m having. While weight painting, I am convinced that i am doing everything right, but still i get spikes and stuff at movement of the armature/model. They look like they are causes of vertices or faces i forgot to weight paint or something but upon several trials with different wight paint brushes (add, subtract, mix, etc.) I’ve realized that it is not that. This project is very important to me and very close to me, closer than anything I’ve ever done. I believe that this site has the people who are either known to this problem somehow, either experience or professionalism, and i would greatly appreciate any help provided. I’ve added three pictures of the problem so that you folks can get a better perception. Thanks a lot (:

If a picture is worth a thousand words, a blendfile is worth a thousand pictures. The issue is probably a simple one of either parenting or weighting - upload the file to pasteall.org and we’ll have a look. I know you said this model is close to you, but it’s unlikely anyone’s going to steal your work.

If you want to try to see the problem I recommend that you open your N properties panel (N key) and in edit mode select one of the misbehaving verts. Look in the weights pane to see how many groups - and which ones - it belongs to. Chances are you oversprayed when painting and hit those verts very lightly, too lightly to even see in normal weight paint mode.

All this kind of error vertex problems I have had have been either:

1. it’s not painted where it is supposed to be (or possibly in any group)
  2. it’s painted in multiple groups (in the correct one but ALSO in another group)

You can try rotating other sections of your rig to faster find where the vertexes are connected to.

EDIT: Also turn on zero weights for checking. It shows all the 0% influence as black and will make it faster for you to find the vertex group where those error vertexes are painted blue when they should be black. Might conflict with the black theme though, but OFC you can customize the weight color ramps as well in the UI settings.

You can see one problem in the picture.

Hi you could try selecting a bone while in weight paint mode then press tab to go into edit mode unselect the verts ,select the verts of your hand then go through the affected bones one by one and assign a weight value of zero thus removing the hard to see weights from the hand section.

Thank you so much guys, i really appreciate the help. I fixed the problem as soon as i got up from posting this. Guess i just needed some sleep to figure it out. Turns out, the problem was unintentionally selected vertices that were so small in amounts that they were practically invisible. I went into edit mode, applied the modifier’s vertex edit ability, and deleted the vertices that were bothering me. Then, i added newer faces to cover the missing spots up. The weight paint recognized them automatically and now i can move them. I’ve even made a quick animation test of it. It’s not even close to as good as i wanted it to be, but it’s something i can feel achievement in (: Thanks for the help. So far, i’m loving this site. I’m thinking of posting the quicky animation on the judgement section of this site, just to get critics and try to improve in their ways.

I never use the weighting brush for this reason. Its much more efficient to parent with empty groups and just weight in edit mode. Then use the right side panel to adjust the weights for each individual vertex.

With a mecha/robot like your making is super easy to weight it in edit mode. Just use the l key to select all the linked vertices for the part you want to weight and assign it to the appropriate deform bone. Metal typically doesn’t bend so no need to blend across other bones.

EDIT:I took another look at your picture. Those vertices on the hand don’t look like they have enough weight or they aren’t assigned to/a proper vertex group

Wow i never heard of pasteall.org but it seems like quite a helpful place.