I wished i could write a movie

I wish if could write a movie like how to train your dragon what a movie that is and frozen also. why did those writers come up with such good story and i can’t. i am so disappointed at my self.

I think storytelling in movies was more or less an outgrowth of what authors told in centuries through books (because the new medium allowed for more immersion through audio and visual components).

Perhaps try to write a book first to fine tune your storytelling skills, then move on to visuals when you’re ready.

Want to know what it takes to write those movies? Listen to this podcast http://www.theqandapodcast.com/
Spoiler: It takes hundreds of hours and other people.

Don’t give up just write a LOT. And then throw it away and write a lot MORE. None of those movies are written just once.

the more you put out there, the better you have a chance to hit that mark. Keep at it.

It starts with a point of inspiration.

How do you get inspired?

• Hope you have the personality.

I hate to burst your bubble, but very, very few poeple can write movies like Frozen and HTTYD.

If you look at screenwriting as a cheap, easy way of raising your ego and becoming a millionaire, just let it go.

Start out small, then start going big.

If you’re serious about this, study, study, study, study, study the pros.

Then when the inspiration comes, take what you’ve learned, quit looking at other movies, and write a story. Throw it away. Write the same story differently. Trash it. Write it again and compare it to your favorite movie (but don’t mix the themes), throw it away, write it again… times about 20.

Now you can write the screenplay!

Write it. Throw it away. Write it. Throw it away - times about 5.

Now you can do your storyboarding!

etc.

However, this of course is what it looks like when you don’t have five poeple fighting with you and critiquing every move you make…

Get the idea?

If you are up to it, keep trying.

Everyone started somewhere.

I agree totally with Ace Dragin and amprod…

You must be able to story-tell. That’s the key to writing good movies. It’s also like being a game designer (even though I’m not one), you work with dozens of people, and your story will be changed and manipulated. it’s not one person creating the story, it’s the group.

Nothing starts out big and full. They all are fragmented and torn before becoming a masterpiece everyone across the world can relate and enjoy

Both are based on existing stories, actually. Frozen is based on Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Snow Queen”, while How to Train Your Dragon is based on a book of the same name by Cressida Cowell.

I noticed that many story writers take inspiration from what they see around them, and Cowell is actually a good example of this. In the “Art of” book for the movie, she talks about how when she was a child, her family owned a remote Hebridean island on which they would live on for a few weeks each summer. With no electricity, she spent most of her time drawing and writing stories, and island’s landscape provided her with inspiration for the setting of How to Train Your Dragon.

I don’t exactly see how this would help someone write a movie.

So we have the general landscape and maybe the fact that our main character is a queen and has a lot to do with ice and snow.

Now what?

If anything, these “inspirations” are constraints to your creativity.

Jennifer Lee didn’t read “The Snow Queen” one night and wake up the next morning saying, “Christian Andersen just inspired me to write a brand new screenplay about a war between love and greed!”

The thing at the end of the movie that leads you to that belief is misleading.

What really happened was, the co-director guy told her to begin the early stages of developement for a movie that would be produced a few years down the road. So they looked around the studio for a while looking for things to center the new story around. Someone mentions The Snow Queen, and it gets approved.

Now is where they begin with the process I described earlier.

Firstly, the inspiration I spoke of is a chemical sensation that a writer feels. When this strong sensation comes along, the writer feels the sudden urge to communicate that chemical sensation to an audience.

Thus begins the writing process.

So here is what I’m trying to say in three cute, wanna-be bullet points (thanks to BA):

1. I need to write a story about The Snow Queen

wait for it…

1. Ah, inspiration at last! Can’t wait to see how I well I can communicate this abstract thought of mine.

you’ll really have to wait this time…

1. Screenplay is ready for Maya!

So anyways, what you said is true, but isn’t exactly helpfull…

What I was trying to explain was that you can take ideas from what is around you - or what you experience - and then use your own creativity to build up on those ideas?
Anyway, nevermind. I’m obviously not anywhere near as good as you are at scriptwriting, so I shall hereby apologize to both yourself and to the OP for wasting your precious time.

No, my apologies.

I clearly wasn’t clear in my motivation for pointing that out. I am afriad that poeple like httydtwo would read about Cowel and The Snow Queen and go away thinking that that is the only way super good movies come about. I have read The Snow Queen myself.

If someone else comes along, reads that and thinks, “Darn, how does such an amazing movie come out of junk like that? A queen bee that turns into an evil ice lady? And a mirror fragment that implants itself into a kid’s heart and makes him like the ice queen? If that’s how this stuff works I clearly do not fit in here from the start.”

So basically, anyone on the outside wanting to come in would see the stuff about Andersen and Cowel and instantly feel like like the only way to write good stories is by reading junk (according to current mainstream standards) like The Snow Queen that, by the way, only the super-proffesional psycho poeple at Disney can understand and connect emotionaly to.

They might also think they have to live on an island in the middle of nowwhere.

I only stay on this thread because I used to think the same things I mentioned, but have since found that none of those fears are true.

While those things can help, they by no means are necessary.

And finally, you didn’t waste anyone’s time. There is nothing I would personally rather do than sit around talking about storytelling, and I’m sure the other poeple watching are getting entertained, if nothing else.

Man you can do it write that movie

I think that dungeons and dragons is good for you mind,

Trying to come up with a good story, that is entertaining, on the fly.

Some movies are plot driven, some are character driven, and some are effects driven,

What you need is a story driven story.

Complelling plot,
Identifible Characters, (you understand who they were, by the end of the story)
Setting
Etc.

Just “remove the unknown”, and a story is born.

A great TED talk on story by someone who’s seem them all.

Story telling from the mushroom too!

Attachments

for a good story you need to have an idea from the start, before anyone writes a film, book or tv series they will have an idea of the sort of setting they want, some plot points and any crucial things they want to weave into the storyline. without the idea you can’t start at all and anything you do will be awful, if you can’t find an idea you might not want to be making a film at all but for producing such idea i can offer a few tips.

1. genre, you should know this much already. for those funding a movie it is a matter of choosing what will give them the best profit, for you (and people actually working on a movie)it is a matter of knowing what you are good at and what you like. use that.
  2. world building, i know one very nice trick here. write down, or just dream up in your head, a sort of individual monologue describing some of the history leading upto whatever you want to actually make the film about. think like a diray entry but looking back over a far longer period, the. best way to describe this is to show you a quick one
    " It had all happened so fast, mankind was out among the stars settling new worlds as fast as they could be found. the next minute full retreat, we didn’t know what they were but they wanted us gone. in 3 years we lost contact with 20 worlds, no desperate last calls just silence. we would have had the universe but now we retreated back to our cradle, dreading the sight of their fleet entering the oort cloud. we were down here, they were out there but that couldn’t last…" what’s more that sort of thing acts as a great introduction.
    3.more world building, now you’ve got an idea forming decide on what technology your characters have, then look logically to see what limitations this will lead to.
  3. you now have a situation and a “rule book” for what is possible, perhaps a few things in this book that the characters don’t know the possibility or otherwise of. have someone make a move.
  4. follow on from there, steering events so they lead towards the key points of your plot you wanted to include.
  5. also ensure that before you do the “follow on” bit you have planned for any major plot twists and where they happen.

with a story built you can begin to flesh it out, add sub-plots and complete the picture. always remember there is no shame in cutting part out, dropping something new in or rearranging stuff. once you have a complete story you can start the actual moviemaking, work out things like.
do you need actors, how many, what sort of people?
will you need cgi (you are posting on blender artists so i assume you will), what assets(models of characters,props, etc that you will use in the film) will you need? what sort of visuals will you be using? what kind of effects must you produce?
what are the exact events for sequences in the film, what must you choreograph? are there fights? chases? action sequences? even the “dull sequences” need to be worked out in detail beforehand, especially if you are combining live-action and cgi. where will mr Y stand, from what direction will mr Z approach? how big is the area where this happens(crucial if using greenscreen)?

other things you can remember,
there is no shame in pinching bits of ideas from movies you have seen, books you’ve read, etc just don’t recycle them in full.
keep within what you think you can do, but keep pushing at it’s boundaries.
for things you aren’t sure how to do, ask for suggestions before deciding you are certain you want a particular sequence to go in.
fresh pairs of eyes, at all stages if you get stuck get a friend to take a look at it, they might not give you a great idea but they should point out any flaws you’ve failed to notice.

for more ideas check out the blenderguru podcasts on being creative and look on writing sites for tips on plot building.