Blender capabilities for a project

Hi,
as an engineer student in the university I need to create a project(we call this “diplomatic”-google translation-) in order to graduate.Since I want to my project to be within blender I wanna ask the following questions.

-In case the project is a (serious)game.For example,wandering in a museum where you get to interact with statues etc. to get more info.Can I achieve photorealism or the cycles’s renders inside a game by using bge?
If not,can I fake the interaction of the games?A poor example that just popped to my mind is the fly cam of blender.Although I have seen videos of it being used only in object mode.

-How is the co-operation(compatibility) between googles like oculus rift and blender? I have seen a roller coaster video online.I have no idea.Are the graphics rendered in BI or Cycles there?

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Game Engine > Game Engine Support and Discussion”

Question 1->cycles baking uv textures

Question 2-I don’t know

I can help you write simple logic to get info about what is under crosshair with keypress.

Oh thanks!You 've helped me in the past with your posts also.
So only the baking will make up for it?
What about materials,lights etc?
Do you know any games with good(almost realistic) graphics that I can take a look at?I have seen dead cyborg and necrosis(before it moved to unity).I was amazed by those 2.But my guess is they worked them for years.

You could achieve a nice result in a shorter period of time if some pre planning is done. Good textures make the otherwise grey object interesting. In any case if you want shadows, you’ll have to use a spotlight, mandatory. It is certainly capable and customizable per game requirements. I suppose its simply knowing what it should look like and how it may run beforehand that will help the most.

I have been tinkering with my project for over a year and a half now. Works exactly as I desired though :wink:

@@Mahalin

@@Malicious_Fiber Yes.I wanted to ask people that know way lot more than me first to check if it is possible.The examples Mahalin linked convinced me.

This took me about 3 months to do, but I was learning how to texture and model at the same time. I also had to redo the models a couple of times to make it look its best, while at the same time having as few polygons in the scene as possible. The download is in the description on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGpYM7Kbc3w

Hear you can see that I’m able to have animated pedestrians : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Yy9UvOS5s

@@Geometricity great!I feel soooo noob.Had no idea of the capabilities.

Like others have said, the best thing to do is to have a plan and know exactly what you’re doing and how your going to accomplish it. It can take a lot of time to get good, but in the end it’s worth it. Making an extremely detailed world that came from your own head, or your dreams is extremely rewarding. Don’t give up!

Be careful, Your project has a deadline (I guess). According to your questions you do not have the skills (right now) to complete your project in time with the requirements you are aiming for (photorealism).

I suggest you make a plan according to the things you know you already can do. You will learn during the project, but this will cost you time. As far as I know a project needs to be complete when submitted.

So yes, it is possible to create wonderful and detailed worlds with Blender and present them in stereoscopic views. But if you can do it in-time is a complete different question.

@@Monster ,yes it has a deadline but like this: “You can only submit it when it is done”,as you said.No one forces me to be done in 6 months or 1 year or more or less.But hey,I am always having fun playing/working with blender so I am confident I can do it.
And since the project will propably be the museum tour I mentioned in the first post I will have great references(I will take photos of the whole thing) to speed up the modelling process , so I ll focus more in the things I know less.
Plus I wouldn’t take a project that I would learn nothing from,makes no sense for me.So yeah I 'll be slow in my work but I 'll learn as you said.

Just to sum it up,all suggestions,ideas and advices everyone mentioned seem right to me.With will and the help of the community I can do it :slight_smile: