Sculpture: The famous Hjalmar Matkaaja

Hello together,

this is a sculpture of the famous Hjalmar Matkaaja. I think the sculpture matches well with the anatomy of the head, but i am not happy with the Material of the Sculpture. I wanted it to look like a bronze statue, but it came out looking like wax of plastic. If there is someone with a good idea of a bronze shader, please let me know.

Greetings from Germany,

Andreas

Shader wise, I think you should make it a bit more shiny and a bit more darker brown. And if there already isn’t one, put a specularity map on for realism.

I do like the sculpt though it is just hard right now to make out through the material.

Hello together,
after some research and good help, i renewed the Shader of the Sculpture; now it looks like this:

I think it is way better by now. What do you think?

this shader is much better, though it still does not look like bronze… who is/was hjalmar matkaaja? looks like he was a pilot. i could not find him via google, i was interested in seeing how close you came with the portrait, as i suspect the cheekbone is wrong (it were quite unusual at least), mouth is anatomically wrong. can you share a link to a reference image?

Try to find tileable bronze/metal textureand add little bit bump.
Model from http://www.3dmodelfree.com/models/29563-0.htm

Attachments

Hello Doris,
you could not fnid hjalmar on the via google, because he is a fully fictive Character; all of him is invented :wink: I had the idea of that it would be easier to create a character if i would be mor personal to him. So, i invented Hjalmar a the famous inventor of the sauna, an founder of the first finnish oldtimer- motorbike club. His friends ordered the bust after his death. Thats the story :wink:

What do you mean with “the cheekbone is wrong” ?

According to the material you will find a separate comment below.

Greetings from Germany.

Hello JuhaW and Doris,

you are right that the Bronze Shader of Hjalmar might need some improvements; Buht which one exactly? First of all, i want to make it for the sake of learning as a procedural shader; using textures is always easy. My problem was to wide variety in what Bronze statues can look; Take a google image search after “Bronze Statue” and you will get a lot of different results; Cast Bronze, forged bronze, Bronze from ancient Greek Statues, modern Statues just a few jears old. Some a worn from time and weather, some were almost clean because they are indoor statues. So, for hjalmar matkaaja, i decided that he will be a newer indoor statue; therefore i think the material is quite ok.
Can someone provide a better procedural Bronze shader?

Greetings from Germany,
Andreas

Yes, new bronze can look like gold, silver and all options between them, dark or light, matte or shiny.
Tileable image texture is procedural texture same way than Blender own procedural textures.
You have a lot of choices, Clouds can be good option.