quick selecting of bones in a rig

ok, just a quick question. i’ve used blender for a few years now but i’ve only started anything with rigged models(like human figuures which deform as bones in an armature object are moved) in the last few weeks. last night i found myself wanting to select multiple bones in an armature(like select the upper arms and all the bones which were child to them) but couldn’t find a quick way to do it. using the “select child” option under "select on the 3d viewer window in pose mode only selected one of the bones under the first one to be selected(i did turn on the “add to selection” tick box)and when reaching the hand where a bone for each finger was parented to the palm the action only selected the first of those finger bones listed in the properties window, not the other four finger bones of equal hierarchy in the parenting of the rig. is there a quick way to select EVERY SINGLE BONE which is a child of the first one you select, or atleast select all the first picked bone’s immediate children and then repeat to select the immediate children of each of the several bones now also selected. the “extend child” option under “select” does not help either. i am using blender 2.65.0 .
thanks

anyone got answers to this, it would really speed things up for me.
thanks

still not solved i believe… i want a quick selection button creation tool, so i can choose a bunch of bones and each time i click that button it will select them… but that doesn’t seem to be easy either… :frowning: