How to use OpenGL 4?

Hello! May remember the last time that I’ve been through these lands. But today I want to know how can I use OpenGL 4 since Blender supports. I would like to make a game for Windows, Mac and Linux commercial with the best graphics possible.

well, it’s not that simple to make a “commercial game with the best graphics possible”, you need very good skills of programming and maths too, if you have this skills and if you have the time (because requires a lot of time) you can start experimenting with glsl which is the language of the blender shader in openGL.

Don’t think this is easy because it is not, even for who (like me) is studying or studied programming, i suggest you to begin with python script before try to write a shader

If you want the best graphics possible for PC platforms -> CryEngine.

However, OpenGL is an API which provides features (extensions) that you have to implement; it’s a tool, not an enduser program like Blender. So just because you use OpenGL 4 does not automatically mean your game will have the “best graphics possible”. You have to know how to program it to take advantage of the extensions or use a game engine that does it for you e.g. CryEngine (not so newbie-friendly).

blender can duel with CryEngine:

I don’t want a CryEngine, Unreal Engine. Actually want an engine that supports maximum possible effects. Blende may do this?

NOTE: I want to use Cel-Shading and Tessellation.

You can use a fragment shader (2d filter) to do the cell shading, for the tessellation, i think it need a geometry shader…which aparently bge has no support.

Again, the engine is the tool. If you want some tools (addons, IDE, prefabs, assets, etc.) to use that tool (game engine), try Unity. BGE can do it but it takes more work. If you want the latest and greatest, cutting-edge features, you’ll either have to program it yourself or buy it.

I think Moguri did some early work into geometry shaders. I don’t think anybody has tried tesellation shaders.

Keep in mind, the amount of people with the hardware to run OpenGL 4 features is limited compared to OpenGL 2 for example.

Keep in mind, the amount of people with the hardware to run OpenGL 4 features is limited compared to OpenGL 2 for example.

Good God! Start updating yo people!

What are you trying to achieve?

“best graphics possible” is a blank piece of paper.

I’m in a hurry, I am learning (more or less) I am a graphic design course and am already rushed in such a way. LOL, so make a game like Big Rigs (if someone I’m talking).

I only want you to be able to run several Visual shaders Blender at the same time, many particles and optimized high quality textures.

I do not know this game, but this seems to be your goal.

This sounds more like implementation details. Are you sure this is what you need? Maybe there are other ways to achieve the (not mentioned) effects.

Multiple shaders - I do not know much about shaders. As far as I know there is not restriction to a single one. (“At the same time” usually means “rendering a single frame”). Questions: What Shaders? Why do you think you need them?

Many particles - yes, particles are possible. There is no (hardware) optimization towards them, but still they are possible. The question is: What means many! What effect you want to achieve.

Optimized high quality textures - It is up to you to create textures (the bge does not do that). Questions: What do you mean with optimized textures? What do you mean with high quality? There are plenty of tools to help creating textures, you can even render Textures with Blender (Not with the BGE).

Well, I guess you can consider as resolved, since I realized that my current ideas take me to a game full of bugs.