VFX for short film ----I need help! What should I do?

Okay, so I am doing some VFX for a short film and I just can’t figure this out. I don’t know what to do because for the parts I am doing the VFX there are some things about the scenes I just can’t really figure out how to get everything to look right… So what happens in the first scene: I have to create a plane (V22 Osprey) that explodes behind a jeep but the jeep is close to the trees behind it and it appears there is not enough space between the trees and the jeep to crash the Plane(V22 Osprey). So I thought maybe I could just wait till the jeep leaves the scene and make the plane come in and it just leaves the scene and crashes into the trees. Then in the next scene the jeep is turning a corner around some little trees and I was going to add an explosion following or coming behind the jeep but those trees are one problem and another problem is tracking! I can’t really track anything!!! I tried blender, I tried after effects and it just doesn’t seem to work…
I would appreciate any help!

-Thanks

Is your Jeep CG (like in your vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gfYrO64By4 ) or live action? If CG, can’t you position the Jeep further away from the trees?

Can the Osprey crash through the trees behind the Jeep?

It is live action. That is a good idea but I dont know how to make it look like it is affecting the trees… -or crashing into the trees unless maybe I make CG trees?

I added some pictures

Here is another screenshot

I’d just do what the shot calls for and have the plane come in and devastate part of the tree line behind the jeep in flames and burrow into the ground.

Simple right? :eyebrowlift:

It would require a several step process of setting up masking (camera tracking of course) some 3D geometry, planes to map some of the foreground and background sequence perhaps (using existing footage from the shot), a ground plane modeled in the proper perspective to catch a shadow pass, particle dynamics for dirt… hehhe a month later… lol

OK well basically I would just start thinking in a very step by step process of layering things up till you get a good shot out of it.

This is all very general but the direction I would be heading.

Okay thanks for your help!

You’re not going to fit much Osprey onto the screen! Given the size of the Jeep in the shots, the Osprey would be mostly out of frame. And if it’s going to crash, an explosion will dwarf them both.

Which is actually good, since you just need to plop absolute carnage on the screen and not worry about tracking or trees :slight_smile:

Here is the 2nd idea for the explosion…

If you want to check out our channel it is called MYTHICAL ARTS STUDIO.
Here is a link:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MythicalArtsStudio/videos

Here is a link to our behind the scenes channel:

Moved to Support > Other Software

i’ve had this problem in my earliest days of making videos when i just layered images over each other and moved them around in 2d. the issue is first there is nowhere near enough space for the v22 osprey and second the angle it is shown from is placing it slightly lower than the camera so it appears even smaller. you best bet is to film in a wider clearing, at the edge of the wood or to get some shots looking upward from the dirt track the car is on so the osprey can be against the sky, if at low altitude the tree tops would likely obscure it’s wing tips. notice how in the second and third pics on this post the osprey has parts of itself hangin below the horizon line of the image, avoid this as it makes the helicopter look smaller, keep all of it above the line and the problem is less severe.