CPU drivers on Linux. EMERGENCY!!!!

Hey guys,
I know I have been asking for a lot of help lately, but, I really am in great need of help right now. I am working on my episode of Premier Prep which needs to be done before tomorrow, my computer crashed again and I think it’s because I need CPU drivers.
I have Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4. I am running Ubuntu 14.04. Can any of you tell me if I need drivers for my CPU and if there is a good reference on how to install them.
Thanks. I have to get this episode done tonight. I really need your help.

Micah

Why do you think that you need cpu drivers? You do not need any drivers for cpus under Linux kernel as far as I know, especially if you are running stock kernel like Ubuntu. You can enable or disable cpu features in the kernel, so it is not a driver thing, unless you mean intel gpu drivers.

I can’t think of a single case where you would ever need CPU drivers. Not even sure such a thing exists.

Microcode update ? https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/microcode
Sounds almost like a driver update ;). There should be something driving that thing…

I appreciate your guys’ help. I was up really late last night and got a lot of crashes, then I tried this morning to render small amounts at a time. IT WORKED!!! So apparently I need more RAM is my problem, I’ve only got 8 gigs. :frowning: So I think I will have to buy more RAM.
Thank again for all your help. Another problem solved. :yes:
Micah

Dream Big, Pay Small

Good to see the problem fixed. On “processor drivers”:

Not sure about Ubuntu Software Center, but if you have Synaptic installed, and search for ‘microcode’ you should find something called ‘intel-microcode.’ Shouldn’t hurt to install it, I guess.

Now, for what it does, I have no idea. I guess if, for example, you had an old Pentium with that wrong division error, it would correct that. Or, if certain instructions malfunctions in certain configurations, it would blacklist those (and a more stable computer would result…?). Or, it might subtly improve how memory is fetched and how it uses its cached, stuff that can’t be controlled by software running in online mode (after the boot sequence). All this, of course, only if the processor had bugs in the first place.

Edit: Hah, I saw the link above long ago, that must’ve been where I got this idea from.