Is Autodesk going to start buying game engines now (Bitsquid 3D purchase)?

Okay, so I never really even heard of this engine until today, but it just might be a sign that Autodesk may eventually start to target more well known engines for possible acquisition and eventual monopolization of another area of 3D (like Unity).

So far, there doesn’t seem to be any explicit information that people will be able to start making their own full-fledged games in Maya LT, but game development nonetheless is something that Autodesk is making aggressive moves in.

Thoughts?

bitsquid : Lead & Gold + War of the Roses + War of the Vikings

Main engine of game developer Fatshark.

And we come back around to Gmax…

AD just dropped development of Softimage as of 2015, which is a pita, We had to move to Maya, which makes me nauseous.

3DSMAX being a main player in the game industry, I wont put it past them!

We heard many weird things going on at AD here in Montreal!

I would bet they are just looking to have an integrated game engine ala this post: http://code.blender.org/index.php/2013/06/blender-roadmap-2-7-2-8-and-beyond/ under “Blender Game Engine”. Buying up game engines is a market that is too big, even for AD. Hell, properties like COD are making more opening week than the biggest movies ever.

I don’t think that Autodesk will target game engines specifically, despite how popular are games, they have many other alternatives.

One very hot topic is real time movie making, currently Unreal Engine 4 makes this possible, Unity 5 will bring this as well, Source film maker is also here (though it is favored by Valve enthusiasts mostly). For our loved Blender, I am also waiting Institute’s plans about Blender Game Engine integration.

One example just for not forgetting.