Planning my future. Need some help.

Hey there everyone. I’m not sure if this is the right place to write this but here goes.

I’ve been using Blender for almost 3 years now and I think I can call myself rather experienced. I am also almost 16 and I have started thinking about my future. I hope to have a career in 3D and I am now concered as to what I should do to make that happen.

Probably atleast a few of you out there have heard the name PigArt. If you have then you probably know that I am into low poly (Like really into it). So I have a few questions about that and some general ones too.

Is the low-poly, plain diffuse colours, simplistic style used in the 3D industry? I mainly focus on just modelling in low-poly and then using simple colours to bring my scenes to life. I do a lot of simple scenery but I am starting to do more low-poly “anatomy” models. By that I mean modelling animals, characters and just overall trying to get the right topology. Are there any positions like that in the industry that focus on just modelling those kind of things?

Because I think that getting a job where you only make models is though I am thinking of buying a tablet to try and learn how to texture my models.

Seeing how I am rather experienced, should I start trying to work as a freelancer or sell my models somewhere? If so, what would the best places be?

I hope that isn’t too hard to read and understand. I have a really hard time writing big texts like this.
Anyways, looking forward to your comments.

I’d say that the more you learn, the better, so go on with tablet and texturing.
About freelancing and/or selling models, why not both of them?
Don’t know a lot about low poly modeling in the industry… sorry.

I’m not an english native speaker, by the way your english seems better than a lot of people here on the forum… :slight_smile:

I wish you all the best.

Selling sites:
Turbosquid: http://www.turbosquid.com
3DExport: http://3dexport.com/
3D Squirrel: http://www.3dsquirrel.co.uk/forums/files/
CGTrader: http://www.cgtrader.com/
The 3D Studio: http://www.the3dstudio.com/
Some advice:
upload your models in all of them with at least 8-10 renderings from different angles and 5-6 wireframes and a turntable,
give good names, long descriptions, nice textures, lots of file formats and also, a readme.txt file with more instructions,
ideally, find a topic that you like and try to rule over it.
From a fellow 16 year old…
P.S.: Go buy a tablet and start using Krita, seriously…

Best advice? Don’t get married :smiley:
I’m not into that part of the industry myself, but I have friends that are. The impression I get is that having a broad skillset (rendering interiors and exteriors, mechanical and organic modeling, sketching and painting, proficiency in different software) is the kicker for at least getting in. The more they can use you for, the better, if you know what I mean.
Low poly only? I can’t imagine many (any?) doing that (other than games).

you have a few years to get good at art, design, animation, illustration, motion graphic, or some such thing. Secondarily, you should get good with 3D tools.

Low-poly as a style of finished is mostly a fad, a low-poly portfolio might be enough to get into art school but you won’t get much paid work unless you learn how to do something that’s actually hard.

Go read about the 3D industry, read job postings, look at porfolios of professionals that make the kind of living you want. Get better than them.

i would say get your education(or technical school) done.
electrician, welder, machinist, engineer, etc.
do art on free time as hobby.

The fact you ask yourself that question at your age, is admirable. Posting it here…on a forum…filled with strange people…questionable.

If this is your passion…follow it. Invest in your education…regardless of the field.

Persevere. Good luck…nay…hard work.

Hey there kid.
I’m 28 years old and I’m what they call a “3D generalist”, I know 5 different 3d software (3dsmax, Maya, Blender, C4D, and a few things in Houdini), as well as 3 compositors, and many other smaller software like 3d-coat. Right now I work doing commercials mainly, it’s fine, not my dream, but a descent experience with lots of variety.
In a smaller scale, of course, what you want is completely the opposite from a 3d generalist. It is fine also, but you have to be the best at it. Sadly, low poly modeling is waaaay too small, so even if you are the best, you may still find it hard to get jobs or projects. You should try a little broader, like a good modeler and texturer all around, be it low or high poly. If you are amazing at that, then you can get a good future in the 3D industry. There are also people who only animate, but they have to be GREAT animators. And of course, the technique is only a part of it, a good modeller, be it low or high poly, is also a guy who knows a lot about anatomy, composition, color, character design…
My advice is the following: Don’t go crazy making a descision, you know too little to do that. Get experience, watch how pipelines are and how movies and games are made. Ask the artists about what is they do in their job, the positions that exist, why is all segmented that way. Explore what you may like. And practice A LOT, and finish what you start.
One of the biggest mistakes I made where learning too many stuff and not working hard enough in what I liked the most. Hell, I still don’t know what I like the most, maybe that’s why I work in commercials, where I have to do a bit of everything.

I am no pro, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

IF you study history of art then one thing you will conclude is there have been a ton of artists out there that have done a ton of crazy stuff yet they made a ton of money with it. There was this guy that took a toilet and put it on display , other that love to cut open dead people in very thin slices and put them on display.

If there is one thing you can do right with art is assume that nothing is wrong.

It boils down to how much capable you are in doing it and how much attention you can draw to your art so people will spent money on it. People care a lot more with how good your art is than what your art is all about.

I did a lot of work when I was young, early 80’s, portraits, store windows, signs, the paintings I did for fun sold, …Many things changed this but one I would like to mention is I changed. I started to do it for money. Now I cant give it away.

i am not sure if you’ve seen this already
but i have this awesome pdf from some studio in london covering exactly your topic

just enter your mail id and recieve the pdf …
it really covers up all the things you need in order to get started

i’m 15 and i was also wondering about the same for months now… good luck