Blender Vector displacement maps?

Hey guys, just a quick question. Did Blender add Import/Export of Vector displacement maps in the end or did it get canned. Would be great to export decent displacement maps in OpenEXR format. If never was introduced could this be put into development list, It’s becoming a standard that really needs to be supported for real-time application and modelling alike. Cheers.

Blender cannot import or export vector displacement maps

I thought you could do vector displacement maps from the displacement modifier but you had to subdivide the object before applying it?

wow… didn’t know blender could handle vector displacement! That screenshot is even from 2.49. Is 2.7 supporting it as well?

Has anyone ever gotten the RGB->XYZ mode to work with vector disp maps from Zbrush? I tried it with the diagnostic map Zbrush spits out and not a single test passed. Just what space and channel order is this thing expecting? It is supposed to work with UV-coordinates, right?

Ignore this post.

I assume so seeing as the option is still there in the modifier

yes it looks like. Never dealt with displacement map, I will try it out if I have the occasion.

it works!

here’re the settings

important!

flipandswitch = 11

use 32 bit

disable smooth uvs

after blender import hit “alt+a - rotation”!

disable clamp in the tex options

apply displace modifier :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aha! Applying rotation and disabling clamping were the steps I was missing! Thank you!

…now if only tangent space maps worked. :frowning:

It works! This will definitely become a big part of my workflow.
Thanks!