Battleship 3D Modelling Challenge

I’d like to invite you to take part in 3D Squirrel’s latest 3D Modelling Challenge. More details available here:

I’m sorry, but $25 is not enough money for the amount of work it would take to create a decent looking book.

Hi, sorry I think you have misunderstood the idea of this challenge. It’s a fun way for 3D Modellers to create a 3D Model (not a book?) that they can go on to sell in our marketplace. We offer up to 95% royalties to all our sellers and the $25 is just a little bonus prize for the winner. If you check out the ‘work in progress’ threads of our current entries you will see how much fun our members are having. Hope this helps to clear up your misunderstanding. I have also included an example image of a model being created using blender here:

Check out Blenderjunky’s Battleship that he’s working on for this 3D Modelling Challenge:
http://www.3dsquirrel.co.uk/forums/topic/2886-blenderjunkys-battleship-still-under-construction-2/

If anybody is interested in taking part in this challenge there is more information available here:

ugh, I would but between real life and my current project (I really don’t think taking a break for a personal project would be a good way to keep my client happy O-o; ) I don’t think I can do it in 20 days :stuck_out_tongue: oh well, at least blenderjunky’s entry is looking mighty fine, don’t reckon I could beat that anyway :wink:

Only 2 weeks to go!

Visit 3D Squirrel to check out how this Battleship 3D Modelling Challenge is progressing: http://www.3dsquirrel.co.uk/forums/forum/45-battleships/

That’s 95% royalty on an exclusive contract apparently so that means if no one bothers with 3DSquirrel and forgive me if I’ve never heard of it, the winner doesn’t make much money.
http://www.3dsquirrel.co.uk/sellers_page.html

So yeah all in all this “contest” gets the artist $25 regardless of how you try to word it. They can post on your site, doesn’t mean it’ll sell.

^ A bit harsh but I agree with the points.

I think the price is really, really low if it’s meant to get people into making and releasing models for sale. It’s a total lowball for what such a business dealer could and should be offering. Even some casual Facebook competitions are offering 100 USD or more to get anyone interested.

Good luck winning the petty prize (worth 1 hour salary) when there’s even one pro pouring in days and days of work into his model. Also good luck selling your battleship when the winner plus some runner-ups have their masterwork equivalents on the very same market and have the publicity from the competition.

You could do it for fun (then again you could model something that you really want to) or for recognition/portfolio (then again you could participate in a competition with real prize money) but not for profit in any way.

3D Squirrel ran a $1000 challenge earlier this year. These smaller regular challenges are a way for modellers to share modelling similiar themed items with other varied experienced members. The prize isn’t really the money for these challenges it’s the taking part and sharing/learning how to package models for sale etc. We use the challenge to promote the community work and offer a small prize as a fun conclusion. Events like this are a way to get involved with the community and for you to practise some skills you may not have otherwise challenged yourself to do. You don’t have to take part, following the progress of others can be rewarding enough. We also promote the marketplace and encourage you to upload 3d models for sale so that the marketplace and the community can grow. More challenges with larger prizes will also be offered in the future for more specific sponsored requirements but as these are intermittent the regular challenges offer a ‘pub quiz’ style experience you can dedicate as little or as much time to as you wish. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback, there are three options 70%, 80% and 95%. Only the last one is exclusive so if you wanted to sell anywhere online you could do on the 70% and 80% levels.

The prize of $25 is for being selected as the challenge winner only. You remain the owner of the model and are under no obligation to put it in our marketplace exclusively.

If you have never heard of us then the challenge has helped to change that. All sites have to grow and it’s through our community, marketplace and the goodwill of artists like yourself that this will continue to do so as strongly as it has since it’s launch. As a marketplace 3D Squirrel is subject to the same supply and demand trends as other sites but where we endeavour to make a difference is through our community spirit and dedication to promoting our artists and their work. We hope you enjoy looking at their progress so far and would more than welcome you to join in this or future challenges. There really is a great atmosphere and a very respectful regular crowd that take part.

I apologize if I was a bit harsh, but I do not like people who try to sucker others. Those sorts are below liars in my books.

Anyways, rereading the challenge post it’s nothing but liars really. Half the money is given only if you partake in the forum… so what’s the point in posting here?

I am curious of this mention of a supposed $1,000 prize. Can you direct me to the link saying that cause I googled 3DSquirrel under those conditions and lo and behold that was at the earliest last year. Making three dozen posts worth $25 each doesn’t equal a $1,000 prize.

I say goodluck to those partaking - if there are any - and post your models on turbosquid or another site where you might get business.

Thanks for your reply, we’ll consider everything you have claimed very seriously. Thank you for wishing our challengers luck and also for your sincere apology.

The results of this challenge can now be viewed here and we hope to have our next challenge launched soon. :slight_smile:

I’m delighted to announce that 3D Squirrel have just launched their latest 3D Modelling Challenge:

More information available here:

Deep Space

http://d15srklsp9hy5m.cloudfront.net/forums/uploads/imgs/pre_1406815998__deepspace_01.jpg

I wasn’t apologizing to you, I was apologizing to the others viewing the post.

You and your sort are no better than liars in my books

Kuro, stop being a moron. As they have tried to explain to you, the competitions are more for fun. I’ve been involved in many of their competitions which has brung me many benefits. Being a part of the competition gives more exposure to ME! It allows ME to get involved with skilled artists and learn from them. It allows ME to improve in areas of modeling that I would not have previously tried. If you stopped being a moron and actually took a look at the forums there, you would see that there is a lot of talent there, and you could actually learn a lot.

In conclusion: 1)Again, stop being a moron. 2) Yes, 3DSquirrel benefit from the challenges. So what?! It’s called creative marketing! 3) All artists, involved or just watching also benefit.

Maybe if you wasn’t so narrow minded you might actually learn something.