Why can't individual points on a curve be animated?

I’m using a curve right now as a follow path guide for an object. There is no problems with the object following the path correctly from point A to B over time.

However, I wanted to also animate a couple of the points on the curve while the object is following the path from point A to point B.

I was kind of surprised when I selected the curve points… I wasn’t able to animate the individual points of the curve.
most of the curve needs to stay in the position it is at currently. But I want to animate just the last couple vertices at the very end of the path.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong, or a workaround would be appreciated.

Use shapekeys or Animall addon

Thanks for recommendation Richard, Let ask another question… currently the object that is following the curve is using shape keys,
When you mentioned shape keys above were you suggesting using them for the object or curve?

I’ll definitely look into the animall addon as well as an option, and thanks again.

Curves can have shapekeys just like meshes and like meshes you can animate them

Other option is to use hooks.
Selec the point you want to animate, press the pace bar and type hook to new object and press enter.

That will create an empty that controls that point of the curve. You can then move and animate the empties as you want.

Hi,

I second the hook idea. Also, the best is to hook the CVs to bones from an armature, this way you can have all the pose mode tools, keying sets, and relative transforms that armatures offer.

Hadrien

Hooks? Why extra work? What bones? animall is easy and quick. It does everything a hook can but you do not need to do all the extra steps .

Thank you to everybody for your suggestions and recommendations. It’s nice to know there are so many options.
I’m going to mark this thread solved…thanks again.