Anime Style in Blender

Hello everyone!
I’m using this thread to keep record of my progress developing my style of anime realism/ anime inspired styles in 3D.

I don’t expect to reach the quality of studios and /or artists like SQUARE ENIX but I do look to them as inspiration and motivation to my work.
I function in both Blender and Zbrush so there will be work done in both programs in this thread.

If there are any suggestions as to how I can improve the quality of my work, I will gladly take them. :slight_smile:

Attachments

Great work so far, I don’t have any critiques… Show us more!

nice character and execution, a little bit too much mascara perhaps. :slight_smile:

Wow, I like a lot, very nice! the skin for my is very cool!!

So far I’ve been using a node setup similar to this one, but I input the vertex color as an attribute to a diffuse node through a mix shader. I also have the glossiness controlled through another vertex paint layer so that I can make her lips shiny without making the rest of her body shiny.

Like this:

Kinda creepy to work on late at night…

I am hoping to learn a different way to achieve nicer results but I will probably have to paint her some new textures.

Great work. Thanks for sharing your node setup. It has helped me improve my skin tones.

I cant wait till they get the SSS shader and the baking working with cycles. This idea for the setup in very helpful.

The only things I added were a veronoi texture set to cells. the scale is input by a math node set to multiply to get a value of 30,000 and the factor is then divided by 400 with another math node before going to the displacement on the material output.

It gives a nice subtle displacement to the skin.

Great work. Thanks for sharing your node setup. It has helped me improve my skin tones.

I cant wait till they get the SSS shader and the baking working with cycles. This idea for the setup in very helpful.

The only things I added were a veronoi texture set to cells. the scale is input by a math node set to multiply to get a value of 30,000 and the factor is then divided by 400 with another math node before going to the displacement on the material output.

It gives a nice subtle displacement to the skin.

Thanks for the suggestion tomtuko, I attempted adding a bump but I might need to readjust the gloss to respond to the bump texture. Perhaps the bump texture is a bit too strong.

Just play with the size of the texture by adjusting the multiplier and the depth/height my changing the divide setting on the output of the texture. I currently have my divisor set to 800 and decreased the multiplier to make the texture a bit larger and at the same time less depth. You will need to adjust to taste.

I had a bit of trouble with the backscatter on your setup when there is a light behind the head of my model. The whole head turned red instead of just the ears. How did you solve that?

Just play with the size of the texture by adjusting the multiplier and the depth/height my changing the divide setting on the output of the texture. I currently have my divisor set to 800 and decreased the multiplier to make the texture a bit larger and at the same time less depth. You will need to adjust to taste.

I had a bit of trouble with the backscatter on your setup when there is a light behind the head of my model. The whole head turned red instead of just the ears. How did you solve that?

Ah, do you think you could show me the node setup for the bump?

As for my subsurface I also get some strange results depending on the lighting which is why I am looking to improve my skin node setup.

Observe here:

and especially here:

I get a strange “glow” coming from her neck and shoulders. I think the only thing keeping it from coming through her face is her hair mesh.

I did rearrange some of the nodes in my skin shader when I made it because I found the “glow” to be worse in its original form with suzzane:

have a look

I wouldn’t really recommend it for use though unless you need something temporary.

This is my setup so far.

Edit: I forgot to add that I noticed when a non-transparent or translucent object is inside the head (the mouth and teeth for instance) the backscatter in your original not setup was blocked.

In a real head/body there would be bone/muscle that would block most of the backscatter except the ears and at the correct angle the edges of the skin. It would be possible to create a copy of the mesh and then modify it to be inside the body of your model but that would greatly increase the complexity.

Perhaps a low poly mesh inside the the shrinkwrap modifier set to make it inside the target mesh.

I will admit I’m a little concerned about a low poly mesh because the mesh might peek out of the original body and I’m not sure my computer will be able to handle it when I add other details to the scene like actual textures, environments, particles etc. It can get somewhat laggy.

Some blender users are finding ways to achieve realistic skin without using this method so I might need to use a different node setup.

Here’s another render using my current method but unless I unwrap the mesh and draw the texture I’m not sure I’ll get the results I’m looking for.

Just like appleseed charater:) ^ ^ “thumbs up”

very nice, when your done this should be posted on the front page…

very nice, when your done this should be posted on the front page…

Thanks man!

Just like appleseed charater:) ^ ^ “thumbs up”

Thank you that movie is an excellent reference!

Oh wow, this is lovely :stuck_out_tongue: I’d post my anime skin shader as a solution for your “glow” issue but it’s a tad stylized (as in not realistic anime but closer to actual anime skin, which was my intention)

I could however take a stab at your shader and see if I can identify what causes the “glow”.

Oh and what is your light setup? HDR? Sun lamps? Spotlights? (it might be due to the light setup, no?)

EDIT: Your blendswap link is broken, what a shame :confused: I wanted to follow you.

CubeGod- Thank you for telling me about the link!

As for my lighting, I have one hemi light and the rest are planes with emission settings.

A view port shot. As you can see the hair is a bit rough.

Attachments

No problem, I see the link is fixed.
as for the lighting, if it’s not too much trouble do try with an HDR, it might clear things up and solve the “glow” issue.

Picture link broken