The Conductor - Short Sci-Fi Animated Film

Hey all! I just completed my first short film in Blender, and I’d love to share it with you all.

Here is the link, the password is “ducky”:

The film is about a bomb squad droid who is sent into the evacuated city of New Venice to scan for a nuclear bomb.

C&C are welcome!! Thanks for looking :slight_smile:

I love it!!!
modeling is great, animation is simple but very well done!!!
And the story is awesome. I thought it was going to be a sad one (which I don’t like) and last seconds turned it up side down.
It looks like professional movie.
Thank you for sharing.

Why is there a password?

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! it’s amazing! try posting this on the Finished projects zone! You will recieve far more critics!
I really liked it!

Thanks everyone!! Yeah I probably should post it in the finished projects thread haha I’ll do that!

I’m submitting it to some festivals, and some of them are very particular about having it posted online for the general public to see. :slight_smile: Sorry for the inconvenience!

Awesome work Zach.

Something that jumped out was two continuity errors with the second actor’s eyes between shots:
5:51 eyes black, 6:03 eyes white, 6:05 black
6:34 eyes white, 6:35 black, 6:38 white

I liked it very much. Only I wish you had textured some of those surfaces wich were rendered with grain. Or maybe I m wrong (I m not a pro)

Aww! It was great! While I agree with RIPP, I also was rather invested in the story. You really nailed giving the robots human qualities with no dialogue other than the radio. Well done.

There were times when the pace felt too slow, and the radio reporter seemed all but a serious one, giving his own opinion on the events.
3/4 of the movie could be cut and still tell the same story.

I liked the ending and the twist at the very end.

that was great! i like the turnaround at the end. i wouldn’t have like it as much with such a sad ending.

Hehehe, great! Found a lot of Wall-e inspired storyline to it? Also, lots of noise on some metals, cycles I presume? But good work. Congratulation, you were a 1 man team?

Dude, that’s one of the best I have seen!!!

I think some editing work could be done, as other’s mentioned. But what really stood out to me, was the grainy renders. You need more rendering power, and I know sometimes that’s not easy to come by.

I hope you submit that to the blender conference film festival!!!

I think you got a winner…

Thanks for sharing,

Randy

Great job, Zach, et al!

One question: Why is it called, “The Conductor?”

That’s a good question! Why is is called the Conductor?

VERY nice!! I loved It!!:yes:

The plot was very Good.

I noticed that when he scans her she dosn’t have her arm.

Wow, Highly Amazing Zach!
Literally it play the violin on my heart, so this was magnificent work!
You know when you as an animator has reach a great goal, when your character need not mouth or voice to be heard by an audience.
This was accomplished, I could hear the emotions, loud and clear!
And it did effect me emotionally to a degree.
The scenery was also something fun to examine, and while examining it, I saw nothing wrong everything flowed just right, one scene that stuck out to me, was the movie theater, the details here, were quite breathe taking, from the flickering E, to the movie previews on the sides. Brilliant Work! Look forward to more, Keep it up!

much like my twitter reply its extremely well made with a great story line and looks amazing

that’s nice! Mind telling how long it took? considering and time needed to come up with idea :wink:

Wow, just checked back here and saw 9 new replies!!! Thank you guys so much, your words mean a lot to me, you have no idea!!

Just to answer some of the general Q’s:

-Yes, I’m a one-man modeling/animating/rendering team (minus the sound design and the music), which unfortunately means some (ahem, quite a bit) of the renders turned out a little grainy. I think I’m going to go back and re-render some of the stuff, as this whole project had a deadline :stuck_out_tongue:

-I called it The Conductor simply because Ducky (the silver robot) is “conducting” tests, nothing too fancy. So he is the Conductor, or “Ducky” for short.

-I had that same problem myself with the story of the relationship feeling rushed. If I could make this like 10 minutes longer to flush out their relationship, I would. However, I’m happy with the length as it is.

-I wrote a twenty page script back in June 2012, modeled the characters in July 2012, but then I shelved the project until November 2013, where most of the animating was done between November and December 2012. I rendered the rest out in January through May 2014, and the 5.1 surround sound mix was completed in May as well.

I am definitely going to submit this to some festivals, thanks for the suggestion about the Blender Conference Film Fest! Any other festivals I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks again for the replies everyone! :slight_smile: