Geodesic Domes for 2.70

Hi,
I recently discovered a lovely addon script, Geodesic Domes, originally created for 2.49 and upgraded later for 2.5. It needed further modification to work with Blender 2.7 and, to save others’ the trouble of replicating that effort, I’m sharing my updated version.

Much credit to the original creator and previous updater. It’s a lovely tool.

For now, download from Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Z_Hp-Hm_OhXzJudnJFU0o1ODA/edit?usp=sharing

1.) make a directory in */scripts/addons/geodesic_domes
2.) unzip archive into the new directory
3.) load the addon into Blender
4.) under “Geodesic Domes” in the toolbox, hit “create one!”

The current wiki page, soon to be updated, is http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Modeling/Geodesic_Domes

Do you have access to the git addon repos to push your updates?
If no, can you submit a patch to http://developer.blender.org/ ?

I didn’t even know that there was a git repo for this kind of thing, I haven’t been Blending long. I’ll look around for information, see what I can do about pushing to git or submitting a patch. If you can point out any resources to make this quicker (especially anything I need to know about Python for this, as I’ve never used Python before), that’d be very helpful.

hi, could you please let me know what changes/updates you made?
I wrote the wiki docs for geodesic & requested the original port to 2.5 & am happy to add your changes to addons_contrib.
thanks for updating, it’s appreciated when people help out.

Well, now that I’ve tracked down the version at developers.blender.org, which I hadn’t seen before, I see that the changes that I’d made had already been implemented there. So… I have nothing of substance to add there. Just the change to isinstance for reliability and the Blender API updates. Well, that and I changed version numbers.

Could someone help me figure out how to actually use these repositories, please? Then I’ll happily point the wiki (and my post above) to that version. When I found it it pointed to PKHG’s old thread in this forum, which is how I got hold of the broken code.

Struts and Hubs were not yet OK … NMesh does not work … BMesh replacement needed
on the way :wink:

First Struts example in 2.71 Blender

EDIT:
Got a Hub working too, but there are yet too many to be solved (nini) problems (to be understood and then solved) …

Very easy to build things like this:

http://pkhg.nl/blender/uploads/GEO_SHAPEKEY.0001-0061.wmv

updated to new version in contrib https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/BAC/
Struts & hubs work now.
Although hubs don’t seem to work well with geodesic objects it cannot find the mesh name.
If you create a geodesic object & make a copy & change the name it works as expected.
The only feature request would be some rotation button in struts & hubs might be good. :wink:
Thanks PKHG for updates.

Will have a look …
Busy to add the shapekey possibility (files in the zip?!). EDIT: … no … not meaningfull in geodesic-domes

Mata-Androcto: do not understand the what you mean with ‘rotation’ in Hubs and Struts …

PKHG,
just a note, the larger shapekey file is a copy of animation_add_corrective_shape_key.py which is in Blender Release.
I think what the op was doing is to take functions from that script to use with geodesic.

OK… so that should be deleted from the directory … thanks …

hi PKHG,
I’m thinking about your menu idea & it makes some sense.
However, we could also try to move the object panel to under the create one button.
This would give maybe more freedom & keep the menu’s in toolshelf.
I wonder about adding more object types too, this could be interesting. :wink:

Hallo Meta-Androto … The picture you saw yesterday was/is inspired by add_extra_objects addon … a consequence was that the operators menu got a choice-button to restore all parameters or to create some name containing the actual parameters to eventually reset later!
I have know idea what this behavior triggered BUT I like that very much!

“However, we could also try to move the object panel to under the create one button.” i do not understand

Let us try a fresh start by looking at the 247 version (have it working under W8.1 :wink: ).
MAIN offers several menus for geodesic, grid, and the others this works with our 2.71 version too, the execute use a geodesic mesh or replaces it if one changes e.g. from torus to ball … so THIS looks good.

EDIT:
By the way the extra-objects are delivering already very nice basic objects.
It looks like that “only” things like superformula, Hubs, Struts and Faces should be added!
SO what does one think about an idea to have an addon for only changing an earlier created mesh-object?

Next the 247 version shows in the upper button-row Faces, Struts, etc. one clicks those one gets the message that an OBJECT to use has to be imported. This I was in the 2.71 version not able to implement (in ONE addon).
It looks like the add-extra-objects addon idea (a start done

at least basic idea) could be used for this goal (this contains the extra choice of resetting parameters, WHY???).

So if you would try to explain me your idea more precisely?

What I would like is ONE menu in e.g. PROPERTIES where so to say the upper row of 247 vesion is visible and an activation offers all the parameters (especially superform ones) in the tools panel (maybe extra in an TAB: Geodesic).

I do not yet know how I can place a Menu into e.g. Scene of Properties …
the test uses

def menu_func(self, context):
    self.layout.menu("INFO_MT_mesh_extra_objects_add", icon="PLUGIN")

def register():
    bpy.utils.register_module(__name__)

# Add "Extras" menu to the "Add Mesh" menu
    #bpy.types.INFO_MT_mesh_add.append(menu_func)
    bpy.types.INFO_MT_mesh_add.prepend(menu_func)

^^^^^if this can be thrown in place of Shift A to PROPERTIES … !!!

Greets
Peter

EDIT:
OH now I know to make a panel in the tools of the different buttons as are to be seen in 247 :wink:
VScorpianC made a nice tutorial …https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukGtILdNmio
Tried in 2.71 seems to work …

In fact if one knows, its very EASY :wink:

hi PKHG,
As the ui is now, we have the initial “Create One” button in the Geodesic Domes Panel in the Toolshelf to initialize the Addon & create the first object. The menu’s/operators then show up in the Toolshelf Operators Shelf.
Some extra objects types could be added into geodesic, to be in line with blender but extra parameters.
The import object name input should be changed to a menu where all objects in scene are listed to choose from, or get selected, rather than name entry. Shapekeys will/would be a nice addition too. also defaults for some settings are iffy, maybe too high, I’ll test that out too.
thanks geodesic domes is a great tool.

I am working (hard) on all buttons in een extra tab of the toolshelf … shortly you will see :wink:

Hurray, now some polishing is needed (only);

So, using the shapekeys file became a button too. It is made for two meshobjects of (in principle) same number of vertices.
The idea is now as follows:
Build any Geodesic Dome object, use TAB to leave the operator, back tp objectmode
USE the SAME button and either change parameters which only change the place of vertices … leave the operator (TAB and back to object mode)
Now you habe e.g. two objects e.g. geodesic and geodesic.001 (or geodesic.004 and geodesic.005) or
if you changed a Cube : Cube and Cube.001
THIS is checked (maybe next version I check too the number of vertices).
Now you can use the Try Shapekeys button (and let it be done!)
Messages are to be found in the Blender Console!
If I made no error, the typed in object (by its name!) will have gotten the second as shapekeys. Check!

Once this way of working understood its very easy to add more :wink: suggestions?!

Because now every button has its own operator leaving an operator creates a mesh, not conflicting with …
And as in the 2.47 version Hub, Strut, Faces forces you automatically to input a mesh(via its name),

One thing is maybe interesting to add: import any object and apply the superformular parameters to the mesh … maybe too hex and star and tri option (as is with geodesic) …

EDIT:
I will inform Meta-Androcto when this version is downloadable (tomorrow morning probably)

Edit Edit:
Done

I got a folder with all the files inside and
cannot run it I get some error from local built 2.76
may be cause of path !

also get this error

File blender-2.76-rc3-windows64\2.76\sc
ripts\startup\bl_operators\wm.py", line 2011, in execute
shutil.copyfile(pyfile, path_dest)
File 2.76-RC3\blender-2.76-rc3-windows64\2.76\py
thon\lib\shutil.py", line 107, in copyfile
with open(src, ‘rb’) as fsrc

can someone help to get it running

thanks
happy bl

same. i definitely would love to see this addon working in blender. :slight_smile:
maybe even make it official. :slight_smile:

these domes are an awesome (and realistic) way to make homes.

im sure anyone from the architect crowd would love to have this aswell.

tell please what (where!) you got the addons (not yet working) :wink: