Where can I sell 3d models and 3d renders as prints?

I am looking for a website where they get additional charges (something like tax) on 30% of my earnings rather than paying before you can sell.

Does Deviantart charge before you can sell?

So it really doesn’t? I think it does that is why I don’t sell in there. i will try it tomorrow.

Why not just stick your models for free download on Blend Swap?

What is Blend Swap? I think I’ve downloaded a Crysis 2 Nano model in there before. I’ll check that out.

Heh check it out here: http://www.blendswap.com/
Concerning DeviantArt, I couldn’t find any info in their FAQ about payments and selling, it might be a good idea to shoot them an email!

There is. If your image is large enough, an option to sell as prints will appear. I tried that one yesterday but I don’t have a 3d render that looks professional enough to sell as a print.

if you want to sell images rather than the actual models you might be best with a market place stall selling framed pictures/t-shirts/other products with your images on. you might also be able to set up that sort of thing online somewhere(wouldn’t know where) that just lets you sell any real world physical goods, even ebay maybe(haven’t used so don’t know if they precharge or take off a percentage later). i think you’ll find it very hard to sell digital images when so many competing ones are available for free but physical stuff should be easier to make money from. emailing and asking the websites usually gives a prompt and clear response so i would strongly advise it. another tip might just be to call the images “art” and not mention that they were done with cgi, for some stupid reason some people think of computer graphic art(in my opinion usually better than painted stuff) as being “lesser”.

If you need money then why don’t you sell your models on http://www.turbosquid.com/?referral=giannis1996

I think it’s better to post there your models than let them stay on your hard disc.
It is also suitable at what you describe.

Please get under my referral, it’s no cost, thanks!

It seems to me you would need a distinct style and your own website to sell digital art. But, as was suggested why not approach some small businesses and see if they might not sell them on consignment I believe it’s called. Common sense would dictate which businesses to approach. When people view it framed that’s a different experience from a monitor.

I have a friend who has sold some digital from his site. But, he’s a renowned oil painter so the rep is already there. But, for most the web is a vast waste land to just get lost in. Personally I would go the consignment route although it means the expense of printing on Archival paper and framing. Find some boardwalk art shows if possible although they to have started charging for space. That’s how he started about fifty years ago. My take from his experience is selling art is a bitch until it actually starts selling. Or, back to the rep thing.

One more thought if I might. My God man look at all the talented work on this site alone. Much of it by hobbyist who are not attempting to sell anything. Hell, much of it just humbles me to be quite frank. And, much of their work is online.

I’m told art is a unique business. A ego driven business my friend once said. Which I take to mean the signature is everything. I’d venture to say most people don’t buy art online. My old friend just had a showing at a gallery. The first one in fifteen years. Maybe his signature was waning a bit. But, then it all depends on where you want to go with your efforts doesn’t it.

Alright, I found this Android app called “Foap”. It lets you post images which will then be rated by fellow users. After rating, they will be ready for sale. Only real life photos taken with a camera are allowed so, I rendered a very realistic beach scene and bam, they thought it was real!

There are plenty of sites that will sell your art for a commission, rather than charge you to stock it. Just google ‘I want to buy framed prints’ and then check out their terms of service to their artists. Most sites are very up-front about this, since selling art is their bread and butter.

But there is a major difference between ‘selling’ your art and people actually buying it. You not only need it posted somewhere, but you need to market it, too. That’s why theoldghost and jagdpanther suggest boardwalk art shows. You need to get your work in front of people who are in the market to buy art. Just posting it on someone’s web site won’t cut it.

Start with people you know. One BlenderArtist got his start by selling prints to relatives and members of his church. Word got around and he was invited to display his work at ‘charity’ art shows and he sold some more. I don’t think he ever made more than pocket money, so don’t plan on giving up the day job, unless “Heaven” is somewhere in Europe where art is supported much more than in the United States.

Do your research. Ask friends who have bought art why they bought it. If people in your town buy prints because the colors match their living room sofa, act accordingly.

Good luck.

I have a relative who make art using the traditional method. I will tell him to put Blender into his equation.

If you’re referring to me, well, I seem to do pretty well for someone who puts almost zero effort into marketing (my mother does all of the social network stuff because I get taken aback at the concept itself). I also kind of get squeamish at the very thought of raking in thousands a day because…well, I don’t know if I can handle that level of success O.o

I did manage to make enough just in the last year to get a publishing deal done for an art book and then making it all back (and then some). I also have done general craft fairs and now have a permanent display of my work for sale at a local business.

I also at one point had some work displayed in the restaurant at the city’s main art museum (across the lobby from the galleries). It then went to a new owner which lead to me pulling my association due to worldview differences.

Yes, I was. Good to hear you’re still selling your stuff and doing well. But even though you don’t personally market your work, someone does. Art does not sell itself.

By pocket money, I meant basically not enough to support oneself. Pocket money is money to buy nice-to-have things, or work on projects that require some up-front investment, but not enough to pay the rent, buy the food, and so on. If you’re willing to give up income because of ‘worldview differences’ then my guess is you’re not in the paying rent and buying food category…

It was only a few pieces and I never got any sales from that place, so it was no loss really.

Now at that local business I have work displayed at, there’s a decent trickle of sales there. Right now the main thing that’s selling is the new art book (almost to the point where I will have to contact the publisher for another batch). We chose a local publisher because it made the process that much more personal (we could actually go over there and have face-to-face discussion as opposed to by phone, having the secondary advantage of me actually being present when presenting my work).

I think local publishers are always best for art books. I have some graphic novels by an English cartoonist that has the books made in Taiwan, I don’t know how he manages. Lots of proofs mailed back and forth, I guess. So the art book is selling better than the prints? That’s useful information. Is it hard cover? What are the dimensions? How many pages? Do you include any text along with the images?

-Soft cover
-Roughly 8.5 by 8.5 inches
-Around 70 or so pages
-Commentary is with every image (with additional introductory text at the beginning regarding who I am and what I’ve done).

High quality silk paper was used to make the colors pop out as much as possible.