Metagross

Cover image

A few weeks back, my inner 10 year old decided a render of the pokemon metagross as a combat robot in a high tech data center would be an awesome thing to make. Actually, it couldn’t have been 10 year old me, because I was 13 or 14 when the gen 3 games were around, but I digress.

Here’s mech metagross:

Here is a test render of a large number of servers:

To do the server racks, I’ve built a number of IT bits as individual dupligroups, and made a few rack templates with different equipment sets. Instance those template groups, and you have 100s of servers for very little memory!

Metagross himself is pretty unfinished still. The arm mechanisms needs a lot of pieces still, I haven’t made the actual eyes (just the holes for them) and there’s a whole bunch of surface details that need to be modeled first. Plus UVs and texturing, and rigging this bad boy. I do mostly have the design figured out (which was hard, since I had to both make up lots of it, and learn hard-surface techniques as I went). There is one notable basic part I’m still unhappy with, and that is the plate over the face (behind the X). I call it the “nose shield” since it looks like a nose. That would be this thing:

I don’t like the current shape of it, but I’m not really sure what shape it SHOULD have.

I’m too old to know pokemon but that robot looks pretty bad-ass! :yes: The “nose shield” also looks fine to me! Maybe if I would change it at all, I would let the outer edges have a v-shape (like almost parallel to the upper half of the cross) but that’s nitpicking.
Nice detail on the joints!

Update! Getting some work on the real main scene (I plan to do a few character-portrait type render of metagross too)

Here’s a closeup of one of the server cabinets (much dupligroup, very linking)

Oops, forgot to update this over the weekend!

Here’s what the main scene looks like atm:

Textures aren’t 100% done, I still want to do some decals on Metagross. And the floor could use a little touchup too.

Also, been debating on whether or not have a glossy clearcoat (like on a car) on Metagross. It looks cool, but I’m not sure it fits with the metal texture.

Metagross still isn’t posed. The mechanical rig is actually pretty much done (FK arm movement works), I just need to finish hooking up the other 9(!!) claws and do the control rig. I also want do a short animation with it, like a sort of product demo video. Might need a few other rig controls for that though.

Rig is coming along nicely!

Rigging is done! (or, passable for what I want to do, I should say)