Challenge #568 (05/08/14) Entries OPENED - [ Containment ]

Theme #568 for May 08 2014 is: Containment

Entry closes at 2100 GMT -5 or 8pm CST, Monday May 12 2014.

Containment? What’s that?

• con·tain·ment

• [ kən táynmənt ]

• attempt to stop spread of something: action taken to restrict the spread of a hostile element such as an enemy or something undesirable such as a disease

• control measure in nuclear reactions: the use of magnetic fields to prevent the reacting particles from touching the containing vessel’s walls in a reactor

• act or process of containing something: the act or process of being contained or of containing something

Might be a challenging theme. I’m not the best theme picker.

Some ideas, a monster in a cage (containing the threat, like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park), a bio hazard scene (containing a bio warfare agent, like Raccoon city in Resident Evil ), an environment scene with a dam (containing water), different types of containers etc.

Just about anything can be “contained” except your imagination!

Good luck to everyone.

Where i’m at at the moment it’s all whispers, no secrets can be contained with the gossips about…

I Hope Images are all I have to submit :slight_smile:

I dont have too much time in the weekend challenges but thanks for your workQuandtum.

grease pencil, Ten seconds, rendered active viewport

A greeting!

I’m not sure i can be back to the week challenge yet but i’ll try to do this one.
@Joey Blendhead, Nice to see you here, i know you from blend swap, can’t wait to see your future creations.
@Quandtum, Thanks again for the hard work.

Okay I’m just entering the first one :slight_smile:

I don’t recognize you :frowning: But I’m glad to see I’m popular on Blend Swap :smiley:

Pure: Pok’e’pool.

I don’t understand this one :spin:

Joey, the entries close on Monday, usually around 6:00 Pacific Time, at which time the challenge moderator will close the entries and make a new topic with a voting poll. The voting will last until Thursday at about the same time, when the moderator will post the winner. The winner then picks the theme for the next weekend challenge. The winner may enter the next challenge but is ineligible to compete.

On a side note, the rules state only one entry per person. If two are submitted then the most recent entry will be the one used in the competition.

Nice to see you here submitting entries.

Oh :frowning: Okay, do you like my entry?

Joey,

the entries are nice. I particularly like the first one, as I feel it is a more unique take on the theme. My only critique on it would be the letters are not casting a shadow. Good idea and very quickly done.

As for dirty-stick’s entry (of course I don’t speak for the artist) I interpret it as the balls are contained by the surface of the table lest they fall off into oblivion. Quite the witty representation of the theme, indicating something (or someone) can be contained while at the same time not necessarily being restrained by the containment apparatus. Of course I may be way over thinking it and it could just be a table with some balls on it.

Pure: Containment Cell

“Republican Majority”

“He’s no good to me dead.” - Boba Fett

Here is my entry. Pure entry, rendered in Cycles with some minor post processing in Gimp.

@MrKrabju: cycles eh? how many samples?

@SonnySee did you made the carbonite (Han solo) part yourself or did you use a texture with displacement ?

I used a texture with displacement for the part of the carbonite with Han in it. I then applied the modifier and refined it with sculpting to add more depth variation where required (feet, fingers etc.) and to smooth out the flatter areas as the displacement was quite extreme. As my material, I used the image as a texture mixed with a glossy node. I modeled the rest of the carbonite casing and components by hand. For the wall, I simply imported an image as a plane. I then added some spotlights from above, an orange point light from below and an additional small plane with a blue emission material near the top readout to give some variation.

I have tried before to get semi decent results with solo in carbonite and could never pull it off. this time, before I set the image as a displacement, I rotated, cropped, desaturated and adjusted brightness and contrast in Gimp before trying anything. I am pleased with the results and learned a great deal with this weeks challenge.

Sorry for rambling on and answering more than you asked.
Cheers!