Texture use in order to save frames

Hey Guys what’s up,

I have a question for the Game engine in order to maybe save some frames if it makes any sense.
Im not 100% sure if Textures eat Frames, if there is more than Normal Maps used to fake Geometry.
At the moment i am using the normal diffuse map with a normal map and a specularity map for getting the light onto the texture right.
Is this OK in order for the Game engine or could i go any further with more Texture overlays for more Quality Mapping or should i look at something that the Game engine could not handle ?

I use however many maps it takes to create what I am looking for.
In most cases, it’s diffuse and normal.
For some objects, add a specular, and maybe emission
For even further, add various noise layers (I’ve got a technique for making really detailed textures by layering noise), emission color, specular color, specular roughness.

In short: use however many you like. If you run into performance issues, then you can start removing them

So there isnt like a Rule which Textures are commonly or being used in Modern Games ?

There’s this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sixq81ngPA ,but if you want to save frames then normal mapping is better. Better for frames than normal maps are bump maps, they do a good job of faking geometry. You can just do those in gimp to your diffuse map. You can also integrate Ambient occlusion maps into diffuse maps by baking for it in the bake settings from a high poly model to a low poly one in blender, then take the texture to gimp, set it to multiply over the diffuse, and play with transparency to your liking.

You also might want to google search “texture atlas”. When you have all your objects in the scene sharing one texture it can be better for performance by limiting the amount of draw calls the gpu has to do.