BGE recommendations

Just write down some random BGE ideas in here for no reason. Who knows? Maybe someone will see this or maybe someone will send some into the blender foundation. Who knows? And when I say nodes I mean logic bricks :slight_smile:

Some of my recommendations are:
More node types
material collision
better emitor
some more camera related nodes that allow easier camera switch
better AI nodes (steering)
AI waypoint nodes that also allow waypoints to be set ingame.
Node folders (folders that hold nodes for different functions)
controller nodes (gamepad controller)
Max rotation nodes (if you only want an object to be able to rotate until it reaches a certain angle)
mouse axis nodes (if a mouse moves up so will the designated object) and yes i know there is a mouselook script
terrain raising (like sculpting but better for making terrain) EX: cryengine and unity.
easier texture drawing
object drawing (so that you can place grass along a slant and not have it flat but have it rotated instead)

Thats all I got, what do you guys think should be added?

Lots of these are already easily do-able. For starters, material collision already exists, just add a collision sensor and tick the M/P box, switched it from material or property. Limit rotation can be done with a property. Emit maps can be used for emission.

Have you looked into sculpting? Their are some really great & easy features which allow you to create nice looking terrain.

Im not sure what you meant by easier texture drawing, its pretty easy as is, just pop in a texture, and draw.

Object drawing, there isnt a great solution for this, but one thing you can do for now is go to blender render, add a particle hair system, and set it to object, if you play around with your settings, you can have the objects rotation based off of the parent objects normals. When your happy with the results, just apply the particle system and head back to BGE. :slight_smile:

Write it on a note and stick it to the fridge with a magnet.

I know a lot of them are possible. I have looked into sculpting. But they should make them easier is what I am trying to get at. But thanks for letting me know about the other things :slight_smile:

More node types
material collision = done
better emitor= ???
some more camera related nodes that allow easier camera switch -> SetPosition Node

better AI nodes (steering) A* or Piece O candy?

AI waypoint nodes that also allow waypoints to be set ingame. click adds item each item sets a count +1
Ai targets lowest node assigned to him, hitting node erases the node from his list of targets, so he goes on to the next lowest node,

Node folders (folders that hold nodes for different functions)
States

controller nodes (gamepad controller) Got me there

Max rotation nodes (if you only want an object to be able to rotate until it reaches a certain angle) I can do this with constraints, but not static objects etc

mouse axis nodes (if a mouse moves up so will the designated object) and yes i know there is a mouselook script - MouseInput to Property “node”

terrain raising (like sculpting but better for making terrain) EX: cryengine and unity. Select uv, move uv, regenerate physics,

easier texture drawing - UV unwrap, then use GIMP to draw over the exported Uv map, Tada!

object drawing (so that you can place grass along a slant and not have it flat but have it rotated instead) - No idea , some variation of a 3d grease pencil

I would prefer sticking the fridge on to a note.

Object drawing has always been my most sought after feature in BGE. :wink:
For the most part, this is a good list because it stays out of making BGE have more presets. Presets are good for devoted platforms, but not BGE.
One thing I would add here is Riyuzakisan’s Mousemove script built-in. It has been considered in the Blender Foundation to add a Logic Brick for Mousemove, and I see that script as being the best option.
And I would also remove Terrain Raising. Terrain manipulation can easily be done in sculpt mode.

Yeah but it isn’t that great for terrain compared to unity or cryengine

I wish you could mix New FPS navigation and sculpt at the same time,

and have it move the player with the faces he is standing on,

I would love to see logic bricks treated more like materials and meshes.

Let me explain. Instead of having logic bricks, an object would have a collection of logic bricks called a “state machine”. State machines would have names and could be linked across multiple objects.

logic brick
Position
Loc= Cube.001-Ray1.hitPosition

Separation of logic from 3D objects is indeed a good idea.

I don’t really see how it matters. Blender is not devoted to game development, it just has a GE extension. CryEngine is solely constructed for game development, and includes some awesome presets, such as meshes, textures/ materials, various tools, terrain painting, etc. BGE, despite it’s name, is a realtime renderer. I would more gear expectations towards seeing the quality of rendering in BGE being comparable towards Blender Internal Rendering, as that is what it’s designed to do.

i agree about navmesh , the waypoints should be part of the navmesh object.(as a armature(navmesh) and bones(waypoints))when you have it (and so , solved the more strong dependences) you can add function specific:
+choose_random_wapyoint
+choose_waypoint_more_aligned (to escape from the enemy)

of course the target can be also “external”
but have a set of SURE waypoints will be a good thing