Alleged graphene environmental concerns try to say why we can never have nice things.

So if you throw a phone or tablet containing graphene transistors into the woods and forget about it, it will pollute the environment with potentially toxic materials.

Wait a minute, isn’t throwing electronics, batteries and the like into the dump already toxic, would it at all be a concern if there were already methods to recycle it, don’t you think it wouldn’t just fly off as little particles if it’s all encased in a CPU unit and you mess with it?

If it can be recycled in a clean and modern facility (not the ‘recycling’ you see in places like China), what is the big deal? If we really wanted to ensure there’s nothing going into the environment, we would have to get abandon every piece of technology ever made and live in small villages with huts of mud and thatch (and don’t bother cooking with fire, the smoke can kill someone). How unfortunate if a truly revolutionary material (that may have no clear alternatives) can’t be used because of the possibility that some irresponsible person might throw a gadget containing it into a lake or something.

One word to these scientists, don’t you dare try to throw away any scotch tape that came into contact with your pencil :rolleyes:

Although I want to groan about the people who naysay on fads for the sake of it, there’s wrong with looking into the downsides of a popular product, particularly of potentially toxic nature. Radioactive glow-in-the-dark make-up, anyone?

And I don’t think they’re saying the transistors shouldn’t be used, only that such devices should be treated and disposed of responsibly. You know, like barrels of cyanide or your bin. Don’t chuck out bleach into the garden or broken bottles into the long grass of a kid’s playground, etc.

That’s quite similar to what the man said about throwing apple cores into native bush just in case they grows into trees and then the native bushes get some competition. But then again, I has seen AA battery lying in the beach, which I thinks was jest plain abuse by ignorant people throwing their rubbish where she’s not supposed to be. Jest lucky that there some decent beach goers who goes about and then picks it up, and then does up a poster saying why she’s not okay to throw stuff into the beach.

Nowadays, there are lot of radioactive materials around us. Speakng of radiation, a nuclear waste located in southern France was rocked by an explosion Monday that killed one and injured four others. French experts say that no radiation was released in the incident. France gets more of its energy from nuclear sources than any other country on the planet. Resource: Explosion in French nuclear facility kills one, injures four.

And what does this have to do with graphene?