Challenge #566 (04/25/14) Entries CLOSED

Theme #565 for April 25 2014 is: Lights and Shadows

Entry closes at 2100 GMT -5 or 8pm CST, Monday April 28 2014.

P.S. Don’t forget about the new volumetric light feature ;).

Hi!

Another quickly thing, made on blender internal, it has nodes post process:

A greeting!

Updated:

I really couldn’t come up with anything this week, and once again very limited time.

Cycles, pure.

Attachments

good luck for everyone

Here’s mine. A pure entry, rendered in Cycles only, with minimal post processing in Gimp.
I used a spot lamp and inserted some 3d primitives from the add menu, including circles spheres, cones and of course Suzanne. I also used some objects from the extra objects menu in order to get the desired shadow.

(Eclipse) Cycles and BI, composed in PS, Pure.
I was really excited to get to play with the new volumetric system, to bad I could not get smoke to work in cycles. Good luck everyone and I can’t wait to see what you all come up with.

Just in case I dont have time to finish my other idea…I followed a tutorial for this:

Full resolution: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Freedom-450421594

Rendered in BI, the character was made in MakeHuman, some textures are from texturelib.com

Here my entry, pure:

I’m not expert with that equipment…if there is something very wrong please let me know :slight_smile:

Until GPU supports volumetric lights in cycles, it would be just volumetric noise. Note to self: learn internal renderer

my entry, an XXI Elektro submarine:

i got the blueprints from uboats.net
if i finish the righer-res render i time, i’ll update it :slight_smile:
i’ll post the png when i have better internet :wink:

UPDATE:
png: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/70434
hi-res:

i had to post as jpg, because the file was too big for even pasteall (7MB file size limit).
is there a site somewhere where i can upload massive pngs?

Just out of Curiosity what issues were you having with smoke, from what i have seen its useable in recent builds on graphicall or the builder.blender.org. Even saw a good tutorial on Youtube by BlenderHD (http://youtu.be/oSiV5gg_lCs).

@ reflector36: After downloading the blender2.71 build I kept getting a missing file error. Due to time constraints I didn’t get smoke working, though I did nearly the same thing I wanted to do in BI.

My entry:

Early morning glow with shadows, my pure entry for this week. Rendered and composted with cycles. Have downloaded Blender 2.7 so I used some volumetric light as well.

“Light a candle”

Cycles, volumetric scatter ~15000 samples. It was still noisy and I had to despeckle and do some blur in post.

And just in time. Pure Blender, except for the textures (from Openfrag Slayer).

Roquebrune, France

Here is my non-competing entry:

Mars Colony VII

Rendered at HD resolution - click image to zoom in (or click here to view/scroll full size image in browser).

As always, Blender internal. Only Blender procedural textures used.

RobertT

I’ve been trying to make cycles volumetrics work. The result is a little disappointing:

I apologize, I have been meaning to post this for some time now, and well it’s been difficult to. I will be “resigning” as Weekend Challenge contest interim coordinator (or whatever it is you should like to call me). It is for fairness however that this will not be immediate and this can be considered a 2 week notice. It is with hope that the forum board can find a suitable replacement in that time. With that I will continue to (including) Monday, May 12th voting poll. If a replacement is found prior to then, PM me and I will yield early.

It is my sincere hope that the Weekend Challenge continues on (I would also like very much to be a participant again too). I also thank everyone for their understanding and patience.