Problems With Outdoor Textures

Hi guys, I revived the WW1 project and I’m working on a scene in a very flooded trench. All of the materials are new, besides the wood and metal. Every material needs critique. It is too saturated for a WW1 pic right now, but I’m planning to convert the whole thing to B/W and then Blue/Brown as the end result.

In addition to any suggestions,
How should I get rid of those little white pixels in the water? Is removing caustics the best option?
How can I make the wood look more natural, and if I make it higher poly, how should I shape it?
Thanks for any suggestions

I’d say the water needs more specularity and reflection.

You can get rid of the white dots by increasing the direct/indirect light value under render settings. Try setting it to 1 and go from there.
Or, you can simply use the clone tool in gimp or ps and just fix it by hand.

Ok, I increased the filter glossy enough to negate the white dots. What nodes would I use to create reflection? I tried glossy, refraction, glass. Maybe I’m just using them wrong.

glossy node does reflection but it needs to have a very low roughness value, and you’ll probably want to end up using a mix shader with your current water material shader

Ok, I got my node setup configured just how I wanted it, but the addition of glossy raised 2 new questions:

I have a light in the sky that is being reflected in the glossy, above. How do I prevent the light from directly reflecting, while still lighting up the scene?

Why is the viewport rendering 20X faster than the actual thing, with the same # of samples, and how do I fix this??
Help would be greatly appreciated, the second problem I have never overcome before.

Still struggling, I need help with the 2 above questions before I can move on.
Maybe the solution has to do with light rays??

Ok, so here is the problem: I have a sun that is casting on a plane. The plane has glossy on for reflections, and the roughness is on .03, causing this bright circle. None of the light path settings can prevent this, and I tried making the light holdout with the fac of only being a diffuse ray, still no luck.

Well all I did was change the camera angle, and the render was down from 30 minutes to 4!! Reflections have been added, and here is an mg nest. Sandbags still need work, as well as a couple of other older elements. I feel like the wood is weighing the scene down too, can I get any opinions?

nice trench! for the sun, did you try messing with the ray visibility in the object tab? perhaps uncheck glossy, but I’m not certain…

Well I unchecked glossy, but it made no difference in render viewport, so I rechecked it. Instead, I subdivided the water a bit and then added a cloud texture, to make it flow and break up the sun a little. When I add people, I’ll use dynamic paint in the water too to simulate waves.

Does the water look better?
Does anything in the scene besides metal or wood need better texturing?
How can I make the wood look better?

it’s looking great, you really improved a lot!

Thanks, but I still need to improve more.
Does anything in the scene besides metal or wood need better texturing?
How can I improve the wood or metal?

Ok, if no one else has any critique for any of the textures, I will move on and maybe bring this up later in the focused critique.

Beginning work on a British soldier model, just going to revive this thread for it. I need to create a fabric-y look for the clothes, help please:

Hi guys, I’m back and with a new problem lol

The back of the planes are showing up as black, creating this really bad look of squares on top of every hill. Does anyone know how to fix this???

I think you would need to use a mix node , one glossy and one defuse and mess a around with mix sliders to get the look you want .

the easiest would be pick the colore you want then Gimp \ Filters \ Artistic \ Clothify and woohoo apply the texture.

Sounds like a good idea, thanks. What could I do to fix the particles on top of the hills? You see, I applied the leaves, rocks, sticks, and occasional pieces of dirt with particle effects, which are so abundant that they are more visible on top of the hills. I have no idea how to fix this, help is appreciated.

Well here is the node setup for the particles on the hills + the updated scene with backface culling. Seems to have failed.