Absolute Scale

Perhaps someone could help?

Given a 2.35 x 1.88 landscape face, can you suggest quick ways of dividing the face 0.45 from the left hand side.
I know that it is 0.1914etc. of the face’s length (ie. loopcut and slide is so very approximate).

Closest I have got is to extrude the left-hand edge by 0.45 over the existing face - but cannot work out how to cut the two faces into each other.

I remember Modo used its ‘Absolute Scale’ command to control loop cuts. Wherein, post loop-cut, you selected the part face that you wanted to scale (left-hand) and stated that you wanted it to be scaled to 0.45 from the left|centre|right.

Actually, my query is about cutting apertures in buildings - IMHO solved using ‘cutting blocks’ and booleans. Apologies to the 10,000 tutorials that assume that you have a fully formed plan to trace and extrude.

But I wanted to check whether I had missed something obvious.

Cheers,

G

you could like select a vert or edge then G X 0.45
then it gives you an exact distance!

if it does not work can you show some pic so we can see what you mean

thanks

happy bl

Ctrl-R, move left (on X that is) to the edge, keys GX=2.35*.45

@RickyBlender, @Eppo

Thank you - solved.

I had tried what you suggested but I had been making two mistakes prior to above.

(a) I had set ‘auto merge verts’ so moving the loop-cut to the edge automatically removed the verts (given there was an existing line under it). Solved by turning off auto-weld on the header.

(b) I hadn’t ‘applied’ the original transformation to the plane after I had resized it (ie. Ctrl+A)

Now I can move a loop-cut to the edge and G, Y, 0.45 (or G, Y, = 2.35 * 0.45 for a %offset)

Appreciate.

Cheers,

G