Mushroom scene

Well this was improvised fully toke about 4 hours to make from nothing. Got inspiration from a photo about some mushrooms, but I went far from that image, didn’t want to copy it. The hardest thing was getting its cap right, also I fought with its “fur” but I really enjoyed creating this one.

I rendered it with 1000 samples in Cycles on RayPump (for my machine this would take 50 hours of rendering…)

Also on deviantART and my Facebook Page.

Really like the materials on this one, also the particles on the ground are great. The picture looks a little empty though, as if someone sweeped away leafes etc. away with a broom. Composition looks a little awkward too. Finally, the treebark looks a little to homogenous.

That is one sexy looking mushroom, TheNAkos! I really like the red material of the caps, especially the edge highlight on them. Did you use a fresnel node to achieve that? The distinct difference in shape and texture between the old cap and the new ones is also very good.

I do agree with OnyxIdol that the composition feels a little strange, and that the scene feels a bit empty. Perhaps shifting the camera slightly will open up another perspective that you like more.

Great work on the stem as well, I didn’t even notice the hairs until I read your description!

Yeah I done the caps with fresnel as factor of mix of a diffuse and glossy and a simple noise texture as displacement on the material output.

Looking at it days after creation I can feel the emptiness too.

I am not sure about composition though. I always feel that more of a relative thing. I tried to keep the golden ratio with the horizon and the main subject too, maybe the aspect ratio is that kills it for others, I just liked it how it turned out.

On the other hand I have another render, as my facebook cover (i like to use my own stuff there). It is from an other angle. I like this one too, but I like the original better.

I don’t know maybe I will remake this with more detail sometimes.